Safari up to 2.13% marketshare


hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
2,023
0
London, UK
I don't like FireFox on mac. It's the best browser for Windows, but it doesn't work quite as well on mac. I remember installing it on a friends new machine and it downloaded all the plugins we needed as we needed them, like RealPlayer etc. etc. On mac it needs you to do it manually...
 

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
3,375
0
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
hob said:
I don't like FireFox on mac. It's the best browser for Windows, but it doesn't work quite as well on mac. I remember installing it on a friends new machine and it downloaded all the plugins we needed as we needed them, like RealPlayer etc. etc. On mac it needs you to do it manually...
I agree. Best on Windows, but Safari is best for mac. Safari is nicer and has better RSS integration.
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
I use OmniWeb. Much better than Safari, though sometimes it gets o_O with CSS...
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
I always have used Safari, I currently use Safari, and (putting on ignorant/stubbron hat) I always will use Safari. :p

I find Tiger's Safari quite a bit better (faster and more consistent at rendering mainly) than Panther's so it comes as no surprise that the market share's gone up. Kudos to Apple. :)
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,678
1,183
New Zealand
ham_man said:
I use OmniWeb. Much better than Safari, though sometimes it gets o_O with CSS...
Does OmniWeb use the Safari/WebKit engine? Does it report itself to servers as Safari or OmniWeb?
 

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
786
0
Oakland
I enjoy Safari quite a bit. I'm still tooling around with Mozilla's Deer Park Alpha 2 right now (helping them iron out bugs), but Safari is just so nice with:

-Dictionary Lookup
-Snappy rendering
-Stability
-RSS
 

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
5,032
886
Canada
I've switched from Opera (crashed even more on OS X than on Windows), the only thing I'm really missing is the ability to disable animated GIFs.

... and mouse movements browsing.

And keyboard navigation shortcuts (Z = back, X = forward). Can't figure out how to bind keys for applications... Any help? :(
 

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
643
90
California
Well the linked article is a lovely piece about Firefox with not one mention of Safari. Where does this 2.13% marketshare claim come from?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yvan256 said:
I've switched from Opera (crashed even more on OS X than on Windows), the only thing I'm really missing is the ability to disable animated GIFs.

... and mouse movements browsing.

And keyboard navigation shortcuts (Z = back, X = forward). Can't figure out how to bind keys for applications... Any help? :(
In Safari or Opera? Safari should be amenable to using System Preferences, shouldn't it? But ... I don't know if you can bind a key without a modifier as a shortcut... like I think the closest you might get is Apple-Z and Apple-X.... which is also problematic, because those are used in almost every app...hmmm....
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,194
6
Adelaide, Australia
freiheit said:
Well the linked article is a lovely piece about Firefox with not one mention of Safari. Where does this 2.13% marketshare claim come from?

The very bottom of the article has a side-note about how Safari's market share has increased. :)
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
Firefox is nice (I like the Search stuff), and Camino too, but I'm a Safari user at the end of the day.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
I too use Safari almost exclusively - but there are times I need to use Firefox on certain sites.

I look forward to the release of the Safari-based browser on Symbian.

I also look forward to the day a 2.13% market share isn't considered to be good news.
 

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
2,217
0
Virginia Beach, VA
jsw said:
I also look forward to the day a 2.13% market share isn't considered to be good news.
Me too. But right now we have to remember that Safari has an automatic ceiling wherever he percentage of Mac users happens to fall. I wonder how Safari's % on Macs compares to IEs % on Pcs.
 

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
2,580
0
On a jet plane
Yeah, the % of Mac users who use Safari would be an interesting statistic.

I'm sure the % of Window users who use IE would still be higher. I just feel that if you're using a Mac, you've already shown that you are more willing to explore alternatives. I'm sure a lot of Window users aren't even aware that there are alternatives to the blue e.
 

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
769
0
Birmingham
I'm a very disloyal browser person on my Mac. On Windows, it's Firefox without question, but on the Mac I seem to go through phases with two of three browsers at a time.

Safari's almost always in those two, with Camino and Firefox the other one. I'm currently really really liking the Camino 0.9 alphas that are out, and my usage between that and Safari is probably about 40%:60% in Safari's favour right now.

By the time Camino hits 1.0, I daresay I will have a new number one browser though. It's that good.

Anyway, to be on topic, I'm pleased that Safari's numbers are getting higher, and let's hope we can see it hit 5 or even 10% within the next two years or so, eh? :)
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
jsw said:
I also look forward to the day a 2.13% market share isn't considered to be good news.
But look at it this way: whatever the %, it's the #3 browser in the world. And it represents over 1 in 50 website users.

That means it's not something most sites will want to ignore. They'll be testing for Safari more and more, and providing more knowledgeable support.

When it hits 4% it will be 1 in 25. Etc.