Safari users: any way to get some of these Firefox features?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kasakka, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

I've been using Firefox for a long time but would like to give Safari another go.

I've already installed Glims and it helps Safari's lack of feature nicely. Glimmerblocker handles the ads and ClickToFlash takes care of Flash stuff.

But what about these features, some available for Firefox with addons:

• URL completion, like the cmd+enter option that adds the http://www. and .com parts to a word typed in the address bar or typing a word and it Googles it and goes to the first search result.
    • Download statusbar or some other more feature packed download manager (I'd like to delete files from Safari like you can with FF's Download Statusbar addon)
    • Remember tab history when restarting Safari. Now it remembers only the last open tab, not the previous pages used in the tab.
    • Tooltips with both URL and the title/alt attribute
    Are any of these available for Safari?

2. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

It seems that Safari does have some sort of URL completion after all. As long as you type the name of the site and the end of the address (.com, .net or whatever) it adds the http://www. Unfortunately I guess I have to use the search bar for the googling bit, or keywords.

The tab history is still my main issue. It's nice to know that when you come back to the browser or if it crashes you can still easily go to previous pages in a tab and whatnot. It seems the previous pages ARE available via History flow, but that is hardly as convenient as just clicking back...

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari doesn't have an official addon mechanism so supporting these things is kind of hard to do. That said, I use both Safari and Firefox (along with Chrome and OmniWeb), each for different purposes. Firefox is my day-to-day browser. Safari gets used when I want a browser that gets out of my way. OmniWeb for the same cases as Safari, but when I also want ads blocked. Chrome? I have it mostly for completion's sake. Don't use it much.