Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Safari Update 2-12-2003 is available

Version v6C 2.4MB

Improve the compatibility with popular web sites based on Safari user feedback, further improves the performance of loading web pages and Flash content, adds support for SML, increases standards conformance and delivers improved application stability. The update also enables access to web sites that offer self-signed security certificates..

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
flash is flashter

flash is much faster now... a 15fps improvement. surfing seems much faster. way to go apple!!!!

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
no wells fargo support

I'm suprised they have'nt added support for online banking with wells fargo bank. It's the biggest bank in california. it is the only reason I still use IE
Geezzz

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Well......

Sorry guys, Chimera still loads my favorite sites faster. Still not too happy with it.

And the Wells Fargo Bank thing is pretty bizarre, if you ask me.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
They fixed the hotmail java issue, and it's the fastest browser I have. I am very happy with it:eek: Plus my e-trade works great in Safari:D

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Browser Warning

For online access to secure sessions within wellsfargo.com, you must use an approved operating system and browser.

Wells Fargo does not support the Internet device, operating system, or browser version you are using. To continue accessing your accounts online or other secured areas within wellsfargo.com, please use a supported operating system and browser.

The minimum operating systems that meet our current technical requirements include:

? A PC with Windows 98 or higher operating system and an approved browser,

OR

? A Macintosh computer with 7.5.3 or higher operating system and an approved browser

For more information, please review our list of supported operating systems and browsers. Once you have upgraded your operating system or browser, return to wellsfargo.com to access your account(s).

Free Browser Upgrades Available.
To update your browser now, click one of the links below: Netscape Navigator / Microsoft Internet Explorer

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you. If you have any questions, please call us anytime at 1-800-956-4442. We value our relationship with you and look forward to continue serving your online needs in a highly secure environment.

It appears that the Wells Fargo problem has to do with Wells Fargo's code and not Safari.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: no wells fargo support

Originally posted by bennyek
I'm suprised they have'nt added support for online banking with wells fargo bank. It's the biggest bank in california. it is the only reason I still use IE
Geezzz

Hve you tried changing your user string to announce the browser as IE?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Definite improvement, although it still has some issues. Hotmail works better than with .51, but it's still a little quirky.

No tabbed browsing yet. Hopefully it won't take too long before that option is oncorporated.

spacepower

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
anyone figure out?????

Has anyone figured out how to turn off web address autocomplete. This is one of the most annoying features. At least everyone else except apple offeres this option in there browsers. I would have thought that it would be easier to write safari without autocomplete rather than include it. Apple please give me the option to turns this off.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I've noticed some improvements with displaying certain web pages the showed up fine in IE and NN. Nice!

robMaurizi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2002
New Jersey, USA
<edit> d'oh.. quoted the wrong post.. Meant to quote the one about the auto-complete URL feature.. really annoying... </edit>

I wholeheartedly agree.. This is easily the worst feature of Safari...

On another note, it seems to handle Java a little bit better, but I still can't properly play Monopoly at http://www.playsite.com.

I also still have trouble with sites with expired security certificates.

-Rob

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Dock

Hotmail works, that's good. But I am having a new problem, with the dock. I drag a copy of the new safari over to the dock to add it and it appears. Then when I click on the icon there, a new icon appears at the end of the dock, doubling the space and making everything else smaller.

Anyone else with this problem? Am I just doing something stupid-like?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Apple's own site...

I don't know if it's fixed yet (I haven't been home to download the update)... but did anyone notice that with Apple's OWN site, if you had a large monitor and opened the browser window, the buttons at the top would not be centered with the text and graphics in the main part of the window, but would get more and more off the further the window was opened up?

Wow... you'd think their own site would be the one that looked the absolute best with their own browser.

I love Apple, but this surprised me.

iJim

woodsey

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2001
Apples Page Loads Perfectly

Just reporting that apple.com now appears centered within the browser window.

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
flash playback speed

I'm doing some test about flash playback speed. This is what I get on my TiBook667

old safari V50: 10 fps
new safari V60: 25 fps
chimera : 22.88 fps
ie 5.22: 22.70 to 23.1 (not absolutly steady)
ns 7.0: 23.8 fps

okay the new safari is the fastest browser when it comes to flash playback.

interessting: if you move a browserwindow with a playing flashmovie, the movie doesn't stop in chimera and safari.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
great

great. i was waiting for this. finally i can use it for heavy flash content sites. Now we can call it the fastes browser.

go apple!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Solves my issues...

OK...I'm now switching to Safari. I had several important sites that previously would not load in Safari. This update has solved that, so I am making the switch and dumping IE.

I trust that Safari will only improve from here. The absolute key, whatever else is added/removed from a browser, is a universal ability to load and view pages. Absent this, none of the other features matter.

Good update.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Is anyone else finding that the lines on macrumors no longer seem to line up?

Attachments

• picture-1.gif
    picture-1.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,773
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.