Safari v80 Leaked?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 8, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

It appears that Safari v80 has been leaked with one site posting a small review of the new build.

Safari v80 is said to incorporate a preference for .Mac bookmark Syncronization as well as "Autotabs" allowing you to open a folder of bookmarks into a set of tabs at once.

Another report indicates that the install process has been modified -- with the upgrade package installing Webkit and the Foundation Frameworks in /System/Library/Frameworks instead of within the actual application. One user speculates that this may make it easier to share these resources amongst other Apps, and also provides a single location for upgrades to provide system-wide updates to the Webkit.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. dhaveconfig macrumors newbie

ahah! finally, we'll be able to use WebCore in our own apps....

This was pretty much a given to be announced at WWDC... and this just confirms it...

that will swallow up some of the TBA sessions at WWDC...

4. descFromApesWeR macrumors newbie

""Autotabs" allowing you to open a folder of bookmarks into a set of tabs at once"

Can't we already do this (in pre v80) by command-clicking a folder on the Bookmarks bar?

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

<--- "one user"

:eek:

yeah yeah a glory hog is me. v80 doesnt seem to be ALL that different, altho it does have the .Mac integration and the movement of the Frameworks. Safari.app results in about a 3MB file as opposed to the 10MB it was before.

overall it still seems to have the same rendering problems on the MR forums, and now has introduced new rendering problems on neowin.net forums. the tabs are DEFINITELY quicker at responding even while other tabs are loading. it seems to be more responsive in general. i havent really noticed much else.

edit: an interesting change in how the bookmarks are displayed. if you have multiple tabs, it will only display on the current tab, leaving you the ability to switch between tabs.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I know that I can already do it on the current version.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

I'm in the process of looking round for more new stuff inside the app and I'll be posting it as I see it

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its a little different.

Attached Files:

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Wasn't the seeding program stopped for awhile because of leaks? I like hearing what's coming up as much as the next person, but the more that things get leaked, the more Apple will get ticked off. if they stop seeding, it will hurt us in the end. These leaks of seeds should really stop.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I see that both About Safari and the Internet prefs in System Prefs both list it as version 1.0 - not 1.0 Beta. So the official 1.0 release is close!

Edit: BUG! I clicked the Back button and a new tab opened! I couldn't get it to do it again though.

And is it just me, or are the fonts bigger in this version?

11. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

No

Moving the frameworks to the System folder would not result in any speed up btw.

It will mean a smaller d/l in the future to update app-centric issues, but if Apple updates WebCore then you will still need to download that big chunk.

And moving them out of the app now means they are fleshed out enough to be used by third party apps like OmniWeb so that their HTML rendering doesn't suck any more and you get more advanced rendering.

I'd REALLY like to see a smart downloader that will strip out language files I don't want. QuickTime promised this, but Apple abandoned Installer VISE for their crap UNIX-based installer (that wiped out how many people's entire drives with an iTunes update?).

And I thought Cocoa was supposed to turn out much smaller apps as they reused a bunch of code in the system frameworks themselves? All Safari does is call on WebCore to do the bulk of the work and handles UI, networking and what, bookmarks itself.

iTunes is already using the WebCore components, apparently, for the Music Store which is all WebObjects-based. That must really grind Cocoa-fans out there. Heh heh.

12. MovieGuy macrumors newbie

Sounds liek a neat feature but I dunno what I would really use it for. I can see if it helps apple to integrate programs to move the frameworks though. Hope good things come out of this.

13. Mr.Hey macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

I download it but its a pkg can anyone else confirm this. I don't want to install the hack version.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Mine was a pkg too, it doesn't seem to have done any damage, but I thought it was strange. It displays the Apple licence when you install it, but I guess that's quite easy to copy if you wanted to. I assume it's a pkg because it needs to put the WebCore in the right place.

15. Mr.Hey macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

Thanks for the reply... thought the same about the pkg but your right about the webcore thing. I check all the features and it seems ok ..oh and the speed is unbelievable. I loaded MSN site (just for kicks) in two seconds and thats not loading from the cache....tee hee. I'm on cloud 9. ONe of the major complaints a PC user friend of mine was the slow loading speeds of Apples browsers. I can't wait to show him v80. :D

16. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

i think i'll be better off to wait for it to be officially released.

17. Mr.Hey macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

How the heck am I or anyone else going to upgrade now that apple is using pkg. I know people who have installed leaked version of iApps who could not upgrade to the offical release. I know there is a unix app that will uninstall pkg. I only hope it works on this.

p.s. Its always a good idea to empty the cache before or after you upgrade.

18. NicoMan macrumors 6502a

NicoMan

Safari v80

I Just hope that they release a public version soon that correct the stability problems.

NicoMan

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

yeah its supposed to be a package since it installes the webcore/javascriptcore framework in your system folder

20. seven5 macrumors member

Also added is a new "missing image" icon.

Before, Safari showed nothing for missing images, which was kind of a pain and kind of a blessing at the same time.

Now, while using pith helmet, i have little question marks everywhere. Maybe PithHelmet can replace everything with a transparent 1px gif.

[​IMG]

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Seven5: Since Im on my GF's PC, and dont have the opportunity to go v80 before tonight, could you please upload a picture with open tabs and the browser being aquafied? ThxX. I hate brushed metal! ;)

22. andyduncan macrumors regular

Re: No

Actually it's probably not using webcore. Since the poster above stated that v80 is the first version to move webcore into the frameworks folder making it available to other apps, then iTunes would have to have a version of webcore in it's package in order to work on any machine that didn't have safari installed.
    Opening the package shows no signs of webcore.
    In addition, the fact that IMS uses webobjects doesn't necessarily mean that iTunes is using HTML for it's display, though it might be. Webobjects can have a number of interfaces wrapped on top of it.

23. Bundled macrumors newbie

Help!

I quickly downloaded Safari v80 from somewhere, but I would not advice others to do so. First of all, it is nice but some preferences don't work anymore (security for example) and after I tried to remove the package with OSXPM (the tool mentioned above) I couldn't use the public beta from Apple anymore. And above all after deleting v80 to go back to the public beta, I couldn't install v80 again, it tells me it is impossible to install it on that hard disk. I even moved the WebKit.framework away from the Frameworks folder. I deleted anything on my hard disk with Safari in it... except the two installation packages, the one from Apple and that nasty v80... I probably have to wait until Safari leaves beta status or Apple releases Panther... wooah, 4 months...

Anyone who can solve this problem?
    I mean Chimera/Camino is cool, but I liked Safari a lot more.

24. richie macrumors member

As far as I can tell (I'm not actually going to install v80 myself), it looks like the updater updates Foundation.framework, too (to 6.2.1 from 6.2), which could be why the old version won't install anymore. Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to downgrade that...