Safari very slow and glitchy 2014 MBA i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Belmont31R, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

I'd prefer to use Safari but its usually very slow to render webpages compared to Firefox and Chrome. Even if the progress bar completes all the way left to right the page can take 5-10 seconds to fully render. With Chrome the same pages render in less than a second. Firefox is also very fast.

Is there a particular reason why Safari is acting this way? I even went to speedtest.net and when the test is running in Safari the needle on the 'dashboard' will freeze and its just a very glitchy animation. Through both Chrome and Firefox the needle moves smoothly with the test and never hangs up. This isn't an internet speed issue. I'm getting around 150mbps down and 21mbps up over WIFI.

This is a 2014 MBA with 4GB RAM, i5, and is a week old Mac. I've never had such a poor web browsing experience in years as I am now with Safari. Acts like IE in the 90's on dial up.

2. zunairryk macrumors regular

I have the same issue on my macbook pro. But i have narrowed it down to the Cisco router/modem i have. It works much,much faster with different modems with lower speed.

Try changing DNS to google or opendns. But i have decided to change my modem to fix this issue as every other fix mentioned on the internet didn't work for me except for getting a different modem.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I don't notice this issue at all on either my MBA or my Mini; I would recommend checking and making sure you have the latest software updates.

EDIT: For reference my router is an Airport Extreme and I do use OpenDNS servers instead of my ISP's.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Why would a router be the cause of 1 browser being fast and another browser being slow, unless there's some (local?) caching which is being hit by Chrome and not by Safari.

I also use an Airport Extreme as my router and use OpenDNS vs using my ISP's DNS.