*** Safari vs. Firefox - my battle of speed? Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chris001, Mar 25, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

ok. i used to use safari 2.0. then got fed up and went to firefox (not the latest one).
    Now, safari 3.0 claims they are the fastest internet browser on the web. as per the apple website.

which is actually the best?

the only thing i HATE about firefox is the tabs are really stupid. On average, in safari, i can fit ~6 tabs on the browser without the tabs shrinking in size.
    in firefox, i can only fit ~4. after 4 tabs they shrink. this isnt really a big deal until i close them. everytime i close a tab in firefox all the other tabs expand, this makes it difficult to close many tabs at once without having to move my cursor.

i know, this is very stupid, and i guess i could just juse command+w but that's just me.

if in firefox you can change the option to make the tabs smaller and fit more onto a page could u let me know how to do this.
    otherwise i'm sticking with safari "the fastest web browser there is"

2. pinktank macrumors 6502

there are many tab enhancing extensions you can try

3. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

lol, i don't mean to sound like a dud but where can i find these in firefox?

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

www.opera.com

Give up Firefox and get a real browser. Some people hate the UI, I personally love it...Opera was the first mainstream browser to use tabbed browsing, is, in my opinion, faster than Firefox or Safari (though they need to work a bit on the Mac version...) and they also invented mouse gestures. There's a lot that's hard to explain, but, I recommend atleast giving Opera a try if you haven't...I'm what they call an Opera fanboy :D

By the way, I have atleast 7 tabs open on average at a time, and sometimes up to 20-25, and the sizes are quite comfortable; they don't shrink much 'til about the 10-11 tab area, where, depending on your definition of small, they start to squeeze a bit more.

5. Aronnax macrumors regular

type

about:config

into the adress bar

then Filter: browser.tabs.tab

and change the values from:

browser.tabs.tabClipWidth
    browser.tabs.tabMaxWidth
    browser.tabs.tabMinWidth

to whatever you want

Cheers

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

That reminded me...you can use Cmd+w to close tabs, which is much faster. Also, you can use 1 and 2 to switch between tabs, as well as a plethora of other keyboard shortcuts. Opera can be run almost entirely by mouse or entirely by keyboard (keyboard is easier), whichever you prefer :)

7. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

thanks for all your help.

i don't want to use opera cause it's still a bit buggy.
    i use opera on my desktop pc at home. its sweet.

i'll probbaly try out the new firefox tab thingy.
    and we'll seee wat i decide.

thanks aggain.

8. jcs1088 macrumors regular

If your looking for a tab extension you should check out Tab Mix Plus.

9. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Check out Session Manager for saving tabs and ordering them into categories etc. Pretty nifty if you like having specific groups of websites to look for stuff (ie: news, email, purchases)

10. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I use both Opera and Safari. However since the Safari update I've noticed that Safari has become a lot slower. Even when I surf the same sites Safari takes a lot more time to load pages and seems very sluggish when I scroll up or down, whereas Opera is lightning fast.

I love Opera, however it can't do browse everything on the net, that's why I use Safari as well. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a slow down in Safari?

11. migulic macrumors member

Yes, I noticed a slowdown in Safari too, especially comparing it to Fx 3 beta 4. Firefox is lightning fast when loading pages, Safari less so. However Safari is way faster when it comes to starting the actual program - it loads in less than a second on my Alu iMac. Firefox takes a few bounces before it loads.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I have never noticed a "slow" browser. Maybe different start up times, but nothing relating to standard web surfing. :confused:

Oh wait, now that I think about it- opera goes to 100% cpu usage and dog slow when there are tons of pictures on a single page, and quicktime is choppy

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Our school's internet is fast (I'm not sure how fast, but when I plug my laptop in, its very speedy), but with IE6 pages take the time to load that they do on 2mb broadband. Fortunately some computers there now have FF installed as well.

14. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

I think I'll make the switch to beta 4 and change once either Camino or Shiira make substantial updates.

The reason being is that Safari is much a resource hog as it ever was. All those improvements are lost once you have multiple tabs open. Continue, and it can slow down other resource intensive apps like Photoshop. Firefox ain't no lightweight either, but I just don't get the slow-down and the occasional crash like I did with Safari.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3 has great improvement on that part, it uses up to 60% less memory than firefox 2. snappier, smaller, faster as well.

Check detail of firefox 3 in my signature :)

PS. beta 5 would be out in a week.

16. Fergus1 macrumors newbie

slow safari 3.1

I too have been very dismayed by the coincidence of a tremendous slowdown after "updating" to the latest safari 3.1 from the version my new iMac shipped with... It is really annoying and once again raises serious doubts about software updates...

When I mean "slow" I'm referring to page loading where the progress bar will hang at several points whereas my previous version would load pages quickly and smoothly... I access the internet via a wireless premium DSL connection and have never had page loading hang ups like these before...

Any suggestions?

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

did you do a reset of safari?

18. Fergus1 macrumors newbie

reset of safari? what do mean "reset" safari? I clearly must have missed something... I ran the update and verified the new 3.1 version but saw nothing about resetting. tell me more... please

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

here

Attached Files:

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

One can press Safari->Reset Safari...

21. Fergus1 macrumors newbie

thanks, I saw the reset tab and did it but can't say the page loading performance is anywhere close to what it had been... still searching on this one.

22. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

on the topic on tabs..anyone know the shortcut for switching tabs on safari 3?

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Command+} and Command+{

24. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i have no idea why they didn't op for the control tab. but after using safari for a while, shift apple bracket has become second nature. at first it was weird changing tabs with my right hand, but now its a lot easier.

25. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

All browsers operate differently, and therefore, should be used differently.

I use Safari most of the time because it really is the fastest (with 3.1).

I use Opera when I want BitTorrent running while I surf the web. Also, Opera seems to be the most compatible with "Internet Explorer only" sites that will not work with Firefox or Safari.

Firefox is the browser that allows you to fully customize with plug-ins and extensions until your heart is content. However, that sometimes leads to a slower browsing experience and compatibility issues due to version differences among the web browser and the plug-ins.

Each web browser accels at different workflows and they all have their own place and time.

So, use all of them like I do!