Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
For me it really doesn’t matter how great the browser is because they have no Windows support. Since I can’t sync all of my devices all I see is a URL bar I have to copy from when I tap a link in another app.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
will any of these features affect 3rd party browsers as they have to use the webkit?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you Julie and MR. I appreciate the research and at-a-glance informative article. A real timesaver!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I hope they fix this that has annoyed me for a long time. When on your iPad in landscape mode when you tap on your bookmarks then tap the save bookmark it doesn’t hide the side bar bookmarks you have to go back to the top and tap the bookmarks icon to close the side bar. I absolutely hate that and a wasted step. It should be like portrait mode when you tap your bookmark icon then tap your bookmarked as your bookmarked page opens it closes the sidebar automatically. Why can’t they do that in landscape mode?

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "By default, your downloaded Safari files are saved in a "Downloads" section of the Files app, but you can customize the file storage location by opening up the Settings app, selecting the Safari section, and tapping on the "Downloads" section."

I did NOT now the Downloads "location" could be changed, that's good to know, thanks !

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Reload/refbutton still in the address bar/search bar? I’ll stick with Firefox where the refresh button is at the bottom of the screen. Much handier for one handed operation. I don’t know why safari continues to do that. Especially with larger phones, it’s so much harder to reach that upper bar with one hand.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Apologies if this has been addressed. Will this be any different than using a 3rd party browser today that allows client spoofing and thusly delivering a full desktop site tight now?

E.g in dolphin I can happily use whatsapp webapp https://web.whatsapp.com/

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Even though Apple has now copied many of the features that have been in iCab Mobile for many years, iCab is still 10x better in every way.

LOL most of these features are in Safari desktop since before iCab existence.
[doublepost=1564247441][/doublepost]
Since the first iPad the desktop websites should have been the default

The first iPad had a 1024x768 resolution while all notebook at the time were already at least 1280, and most websites 1170px wise, therefore it would have been really really really a dumb choice to load desktop websites on the first few iPads.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
If you don’t want Siri suggestions showing up on the Safari start page and you switch it off in the settings app, does this mean the other Siri & search features (for Safari) are also disabled?
They're only disabled in the sense that Siri doesn't present you with "suggestions". Your search, navigation and email history is still trawled, analysed and monetised is just the same way.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
They're only disabled in the sense that Siri doesn't present you with "suggestions". Your search, navigation and email history is still trawled, analysed and monetised is just the same way.

I have Siri in iCloud switched off so I assumed (maybe naively) that Siri search data was strictly on my device and not shared with Apple.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014

Safari in iOS 13 has a revamped start page (the page that's available when you open a new Safari window or tab) that now incorporates Siri Suggestions and other features.

safarihomescreen-800x765.jpg

I hope there's a default so that I don't see that page. It's my number one most hated thing having a favourites page come up. From a UX point of view it assuming that's the journey that I want to take as a user.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Can I get a simple Save As to the directory I want feature? Why can I not get this? This has been a feature of every other browser since browsers have been invented. Yet Apple still forces you to pick one download directory for your stuff. I have never used Safari because of this.

what are you downloading where?
whats different moving it at the end?

i like the one download directory concept!

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
On my iPhone SE, Safari is actually snappier on iOS13. It's so much faster than iOS12. iOS13 in general is very polished!

theramod

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Wow! I am a loyal user of Safari ever since I owned an iPhone. Never ever had any other web browser installed. Happy to see this big list of features and changes coming in iOS 13. Well done Apple.

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
The thing I hate about Safari (mac) is that scrolling tab thing. I don't want to have to side scroll to find my tab. If they just copied this aspect of Chrome I would love using safari on mac/ios.
Yes, Chrome performs some herculean feats to squeeze every bit of space out of the tab bar it can, until all you can see is a tiny version of the website's icon. I don't like that so much either, but at least you can see all the tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.