Safari will not access crutchfield.com

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2004
1,527
68
Hi,
I've been trying to go to http://www.crutchfield.com for weeks now, and thought they had maybe gone out of business, but today I tried it in Internet Explorer and Camino, and it worked! Every time I go with Safari, it says:

This page can't be found.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.crutchfield.com/” because the page doesn’t exist. Make sure the address for the page is correct.

Can any of you duplicate this problem, or tell me what might be going wrong?
I'm running the latest version of Safari (1.2.3 v125.9) on 10.3.5.

Thanks,
Lee Tom
 

trbeat

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
48
0
Coatesville, PA
LeeTom said:
Hi,
I've been trying to go to http://www.crutchfield.com for weeks now, and thought they had maybe gone out of business, but today I tried it in Internet Explorer and Camino, and it worked! Every time I go with Safari, it says:

This page can't be found.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.crutchfield.com/” because the page doesn’t exist. Make sure the address for the page is correct.

Can any of you duplicate this problem, or tell me what might be going wrong?
I'm running the latest version of Safari (1.2.3 v125.9) on 10.3.5.

Thanks,
Lee Tom
Try (if you have not already) clearing the cache and cookies etc .. that solved a problem I had in the past ... also I could not access www.noggin.com (kids site for the kids) until I reset my linksys router. Why I have no idea ... Just a thought...hope this helps.
 

cahillj

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
29
0
Carlisle, MA
Didn't work for me on 10.3.5
So I googled crutchfield
That gave me a link to the site, I clicked on that and it did work!
Now it always works
WEIRD :confused:
 

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
173
0
cahillj said:
Didn't work for me on 10.3.5
So I googled crutchfield
That gave me a link to the site, I clicked on that and it did work!
Now it always works
WEIRD :confused:
Tried that, didn't work either.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
clr900 said:
Tried that, didn't work either.
If it's not a huge loss, try resetting Safari and trying it. Note that resetting also clears all passwords and useful cookies, so do it with care.

You could also try whacking your Safari prefs.
 

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
573
0
Missouri
I can't get the site to load either, even after emptying the cache and resetting safari.
I'm on 10.3.5 and Safari 1.2.3 v125.9
 

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
173
0
emw said:
If it's not a huge loss, try resetting Safari and trying it. Note that resetting also clears all passwords and useful cookies, so do it with care.

You could also try whacking your Safari prefs.
Yea I don't think I'm going to do that, I don't really have a need to go there, just found it interesting that it doesn't work. Might not have anything to do with it but I'm wireless on a netgear router.
 

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
201
0
Rochester, NY
I have had serious troubles with my Netgear wireless router as well, but using it as a hard wired router. It has been buggy, slow and inconsistent. Many times it wouldn't let me load istes and it definitelky slows down the whole web browsing experience. Also, outside connections don't work as fast as they should.

Any problems you are having might be due to the router and not the site.
 

ZaniCWB

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
74
1
Brazil
Tsc, tsc...

Guys, I believe there's nothing to do with Safari or Mac OS. It's just the region where you're acessing from, I mean, the route from your connection to http://www.crutchfield.com. It's about the DNS spread from crutchfield over the web, maybe they have been messing with or updating it.

For me it doesn't work either (my DSL provider in Brazil). But when I get a connection with a different route, works just fine (satellite). Same computer but different connection solved the problem.
 

Gambuchi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2003
51
0
Oregon
LeeTom said:
Hi,
I've been trying to go to http://www.crutchfield.com for weeks now, and thought they had maybe gone out of business, but today I tried it in Internet Explorer and Camino, and it worked! Every time I go with Safari, it says:

This page can't be found.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.crutchfield.com/” because the page doesn’t exist. Make sure the address for the page is correct.

Can any of you duplicate this problem, or tell me what might be going wrong?
I'm running the latest version of Safari (1.2.3 v125.9) on 10.3.5.

Thanks,
Lee Tom
This link takes you there in Safari
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4KDGogBJPCE/
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
Tried it in IE 6 on my PC too. Didn't work. Didn't even try searching, just said The page cannot be displayed. Weird, because I was just there a few days ago. I can't access it no matter what I try. Weird. Give it a day or 2. Server upgrade of something on their part maybe.

Edit: wait... you said weeks now? You should call them. Something is not right. I wonder if anyone has let them know.
 

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2004
1,527
68
Here's what we know:
-Some of us can, some of us can't.
-Those of us that can't, CAN with other browsers (ruling out DNS problems)
-Those of us that can't, also cannot by clicking a link or entering the IP.
-Those of us that CAN, CAN by entering the trailing info (/S-cs5dY5k0p0v/)

I definitely think this has either something to do with Crutchfield's server configuration, a bug in Safari, or a combination of the two. I've reported it to Apple....
:mad: :confused:
Lee Tom
 

ZaniCWB

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
74
1
Brazil
Yeah, right!

LeeTom said:
Here's what we know:
-Some of us can, some of us can't.
-Those of us that can't, CAN with other browsers (ruling out DNS problems)
-Those of us that can't, also cannot by clicking a link or entering the IP.
-Those of us that CAN, CAN by entering the trailing info (/S-cs5dY5k0p0v/)

I definitely think this has either something to do with Crutchfield's server configuration, a bug in Safari, or a combination of the two. I've reported it to Apple....
:mad: :confused:
Lee Tom
Taking your logic as example a bug in Safari or server configuration or a combination of the two rules out Apple responsibility. Take Counterfit, munkle and many others as example... they use the same system and upadates as you and can access the site.

I still believe it's DNS related, and by the way, there is only one case of not getting it with Safari and getting it with other browser in the same machine. So...

Read cahillj post again and maybe you start believing it's indeed DNS related.
 
LeeTom said:
Here's what we know:
-Some of us can, some of us can't.
-Those of us that can't, CAN with other browsers (ruling out DNS problems)
-Those of us that can't, also cannot by clicking a link or entering the IP.
-Those of us that CAN, CAN by entering the trailing info (/S-cs5dY5k0p0v/)

I definitely think this has either something to do with Crutchfield's server configuration, a bug in Safari, or a combination of the two. I've reported it to Apple....
:mad: :confused:
Lee Tom
Well it works for me is it all set to the default, and what version are you using?...
 

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
378
0
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
did you try PING?

that should let you know something

by the way, i don't know if it works for me in Safari because i haven't been able to use it since i installed panther…!

it does work for IE 5.2.3 for me