Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
I have been having problems with safari for a couple of months now. I have deleted the caches reinstalled, upgraded to the new one, and everything! However, every time it goes to open it starts and then unexpectadly quits! all of my other browsers work fine. I am running everything over airport and it is all configured correctly. Not sure what else to do! Please someone help!!!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Have you deleted its preferences (plist) file?

If I were you, I'd search for Safari in a finder window and delete all the files and then do a re-install. Recommend you save your bookmarks file though.

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
DID ALL OF THAT

Thanks for the input, I did this, I searched in the finder... deleted everything to do with safari, repaired permissions, installed safari, restarted, repaired permissions and it still won't open!!!!

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
It does not fail to install... it installs completely it just won't open. It bounces, opens up and then fails to load the website and unexpectadly quits with that stupid little report problem to apple thing.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by jaredbbauer
It does not fail to install... it installs completely it just won't open. It bounces, opens up and then fails to load the website and unexpectadly quits with that stupid little report problem to apple thing.

ugh.

i'm leaning towards a corrupted config-type file that you missed in your safari cleanup.

i'm finding safari files here:

~/Library/Safari
~/Library/Caches/Safari
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

oh, that list was shorter than i'd thought. now i wonder if i'm missing anything. does this list match what you found?

you may also want to (at least temporarily) move the files from:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins
~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.