Safari works in one account on macbook but not on other

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Apr 12, 2009.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

So I recently downloaded the beta for safari and a couple weeks later out of no where it became compeltly unresponsive, I just get a spinning beach ball when I try to open it. I have attempted to uninstall it and go back to safari 3, unistall and reinstall the beta and I either way I get nothing. I even used time machine to go back and it still wont work. Luckily I had firefox installed so I am using this now. Either way I want Safari back though. I created a test user on my macbook just to see if safari would work and sure enough it works fine on this new test log in. So what does this mean and how can I fix it to work on my normal account?

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

3. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gracias! Worked perfectly and only took me 3 min. Thanks again.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Quicker solution may be just to dump the com.apple.Safari.plist in ~/Library/Preferences to the Trash and temporarily remove ~/Library/Safari (which holds your Bookmarks) to the Desktop. Log out or restart and try it again.

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Doesn't work sometimes. I was told to do that one time and it didn't completely fix the problem.

6. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

well either way the first suggestion worked perfect, took 2 or 3 min and when I restarted safari I stilled had my bookmarks in place. Only thing that was changed was my homepage which obvisouly only takes two seconds to change back to what it was.

7. whiskynwhisky macrumors newbie

nope none of those worked for me .. my safari does exactly the same thing. i have 5 options now .. 1) reinstall osx 2) create new acct and move everything over to that 3) wait for a new version of safari to come out 4) keep looking for a solution on the net 5) try to just install safari from the disc.

i absolutely can not get used to chrome or firefox

8. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Does it work in another account for you?

9. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Which version of Safari are you trying to use? The original post was about Beta 4, but now its almost a year since then I assume you are using the latest version?

Maybe try a Software Update to be double sure you aren't running an old version?