Safari's and Firefox's Pop-Up Blockers broken?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by mduser63, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Pop-ups getting through Safari's pop-up blocker?

I just went to visit this website which I generally visit a few times a week, and I got a pop-up ad! I haven't seen a pop-up ad since I switched to Mac last fall. When I first saw the ad come up, I checked to make sure that Safari's pop-up blocker was on, and indeed it was. So what I'm wondering, is do you think maybe advertisers have figured out a way around the pop-up blockers? Anyone else seen this happen?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Nothing pops up when I visit that site using Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12). Is it possible you've got some sort of spyware on your machine that's reacting to your visit to that page by popping up a window?

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Funny, just half an hour ago I went to a site (don't remember which), and I got a pop-up ad. It's the first one that has gotten through Safari's pop-up blocker since I started using Safari (since it came out). I wonder if advertisers have figured out a new way to thwart pop-up blockers.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've got the same version Safari and it pops up BEHIND the main window. :mad:

P.S. Spyware? For Mac OS X? You're kidding, right?

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I did not get any pop-ups visiting the link. Perhaps they incorporated some sort of mouse over that triggers a new window. That is possible.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey, it's possible. Just trying to make sure all of the bases are covered... you never know what someone has on their machine until you ask.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But, it only popped up the first time I tried it. Now, I can't get it to come back. Which is probably a good thing...

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    the latest pop up ads will come from clicking a link. I don't use Safari, so I don't know how it displays there, but in Camino I have "Prevent sites from changing status bar or window size/position" checked, and sometimes I will see what looks like a normal link really turns out to be a javascript action, then when you click it you go where you expected but you also get a lovely new window with an ad in it. If I uncheck the "Prevent sites from changing..." option, I see a normal url as the link instead of the true javascript action it is.

9. Cybernanga macrumors regular

The add came up for me, I've also noticed the same add on a few other sites. It goes to the background really fast though.

I'm using OS 10.3.8, and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12) I have it set to block pop-up's and definately do not have any spyware/malware on my machine.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I have been getting pop ups fairly often when visiting macosrumors (no jokes please). My pop up blocker is on! Any one else?

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

What's the ad for? It might make it easier for us to investigate if we knew what to look for.

12. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

10.3.8, Safari Pop-Up bug

Yes, same for me. I just updated to OS X 10.3.8, which includes Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12), earlier today and ever since the pop-ups have been coming through. I definitely have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked (selected). Is this a bug in 10.3.8 and/or Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12)?

Edit: update...
    Well, I un-checked (de-selected) "Block Pop-Up Windows" and the pop-ups stopped. So possibly the action somehow got reversed?

Or maybe the selection just needed to be reset; pop-ups are not coming at all now, whether selection is checked or not.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Firefox blocks it...

Attached Files:

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Okay, I got it to do it again. On a different computer. Here's what this popup looked like, after bringing it to the front (gets hidden behind main window by default):

[​IMG]

I seem to remember the first time I saw this it was a Vonage ad...

15. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

hmmmm, I had a popup come up while using firefox about a half hour ago. wasn't too worried about it until I read this thread. :confused:

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

"Good" to see that it isn't just me. One forum member, maya, has a website that opens up a pop-up window in Safari, despite the enabled blocker, too.
    Hopefully Apple patches that fast.

17. Timboid macrumors newbie

Gets past Firefox PC, too..

Tried from my work win2k machine using Firefox with pop-ups blocked. Same behaviour. Firefox SAYS it blocked a pop-up, but there it was lurking behind the Firefox window. It WAS a firefox window too, not an IE widow in the background. Will try it on my Mac with safari in a minute (as soon as it has finishe d a software update) and let you know if i get the same behaviour there.
    Sneaky buggers!

PS, it didn't appear again after i closed the window for the main site, and re-opened it.

18. MacBytes macrumors bot

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, there is nothing in the source code for that page that would explain a popup ad from Adserver... there are two ads in the page from Burstnet, but you can see them on the right side of the page and at the bottom.

Those of you who are seeing the problem (because I STILL cannot repro it)... what software do you have installed on your machines?

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It seems that the pop-up advertisers have made progress against popup blockers. This is a slowly growing trend that did not start with MacOS X 10.3.8. Neither is it limited to Safari. However these new blocking work arounds do their evil business, they seem to work sporadically. They don't succeed every time, but they do succeed enough to annoy me.

21. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

23. auxplage macrumors 6502

No problem whatsoever with me on Camion either. Interesting.

24. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I get it on FF and Safari also, but pop-ups dont really bother me, unless it's 5 per site I visit.

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can confirm this on my iMac running the latest Safari.