Safari's and Firefox's Pop-Up Blockers broken?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Pop-ups getting through Safari's pop-up blocker?

I just went to visit this website which I generally visit a few times a week, and I got a pop-up ad! I haven't seen a pop-up ad since I switched to Mac last fall. When I first saw the ad come up, I checked to make sure that Safari's pop-up blocker was on, and indeed it was. So what I'm wondering, is do you think maybe advertisers have figured out a way around the pop-up blockers? Anyone else seen this happen?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mduser63 said:
I just went to visit this website which I generally visit a few times a week, and I got a pop-up ad! I haven't seen a pop-up ad since I switched to Mac last fall. When I first saw the ad come up, I checked to make sure that Safari's pop-up blocker was on, and indeed it was. So what I'm wondering, is do you think maybe advertisers have figured out a way around the pop-up blockers? Anyone else seen this happen?
Nothing pops up when I visit that site using Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12). Is it possible you've got some sort of spyware on your machine that's reacting to your visit to that page by popping up a window?

MoparShaha

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Funny, just half an hour ago I went to a site (don't remember which), and I got a pop-up ad. It's the first one that has gotten through Safari's pop-up blocker since I started using Safari (since it came out). I wonder if advertisers have figured out a new way to thwart pop-up blockers.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
clayjohanson said:
Nothing pops up when I visit that site using Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12). Is it possible you've got some sort of spyware on your machine that's reacting to your visit to that page by popping up a window?
I've got the same version Safari and it pops up BEHIND the main window. :mad:

P.S. Spyware? For Mac OS X? You're kidding, right?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I did not get any pop-ups visiting the link. Perhaps they incorporated some sort of mouse over that triggers a new window. That is possible.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
the latest pop up ads will come from clicking a link. I don't use Safari, so I don't know how it displays there, but in Camino I have "Prevent sites from changing status bar or window size/position" checked, and sometimes I will see what looks like a normal link really turns out to be a javascript action, then when you click it you go where you expected but you also get a lovely new window with an ad in it. If I uncheck the "Prevent sites from changing..." option, I see a normal url as the link instead of the true javascript action it is.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
The add came up for me, I've also noticed the same add on a few other sites. It goes to the background really fast though.

I'm using OS 10.3.8, and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12) I have it set to block pop-up's and definately do not have any spyware/malware on my machine.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I have been getting pop ups fairly often when visiting macosrumors (no jokes please). My pop up blocker is on! Any one else?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Cybernanga said:
The add came up for me, I've also noticed the same add on a few other sites. It goes to the background really fast though.

I'm using OS 10.3.8, and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12) I have it set to block pop-up's and definately do not have any spyware/malware on my machine.
What's the ad for? It might make it easier for us to investigate if we knew what to look for.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
10.3.8, Safari Pop-Up bug

Yes, same for me. I just updated to OS X 10.3.8, which includes Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12), earlier today and ever since the pop-ups have been coming through. I definitely have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked (selected). Is this a bug in 10.3.8 and/or Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12)?

Edit: update...
Well, I un-checked (de-selected) "Block Pop-Up Windows" and the pop-ups stopped. So possibly the action somehow got reversed?

Or maybe the selection just needed to be reset; pop-ups are not coming at all now, whether selection is checked or not.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Okay, I got it to do it again. On a different computer. Here's what this popup looked like, after bringing it to the front (gets hidden behind main window by default):

I seem to remember the first time I saw this it was a Vonage ad...

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
hmmmm, I had a popup come up while using firefox about a half hour ago. wasn't too worried about it until I read this thread. :confused:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
"Good" to see that it isn't just me. One forum member, maya, has a website that opens up a pop-up window in Safari, despite the enabled blocker, too.
Hopefully Apple patches that fast.

Timboid

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2004
Gets past Firefox PC, too..

Tried from my work win2k machine using Firefox with pop-ups blocked. Same behaviour. Firefox SAYS it blocked a pop-up, but there it was lurking behind the Firefox window. It WAS a firefox window too, not an IE widow in the background. Will try it on my Mac with safari in a minute (as soon as it has finishe d a software update) and let you know if i get the same behaviour there.
Sneaky buggers!

PS, it didn't appear again after i closed the window for the main site, and re-opened it.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Well, there is nothing in the source code for that page that would explain a popup ad from Adserver... there are two ads in the page from Burstnet, but you can see them on the right side of the page and at the bottom.

Those of you who are seeing the problem (because I STILL cannot repro it)... what software do you have installed on your machines?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Diatribe said:
"Good" to see that it isn't just me. One forum member, maya, has a website that opens up a pop-up window in Safari, despite the enabled blocker, too.
Hopefully Apple patches that fast.
It seems that the pop-up advertisers have made progress against popup blockers. This is a slowly growing trend that did not start with MacOS X 10.3.8. Neither is it limited to Safari. However these new blocking work arounds do their evil business, they seem to work sporadically. They don't succeed every time, but they do succeed enough to annoy me.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dswoodley said:
I have been getting pop ups fairly often when visiting macosrumors (no jokes please). My pop up blocker is on! Any one else?
I can confirm this on my iMac running the latest Safari.