safe buying a new macbook pro now? (any new models coming out soon?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotboy21, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. robotboy21 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #1
    Okay so my question is this. Is it a safe purchase buying a macbook pro right now? I just dont want to purchase one now just to find out in a month that a new model came out when I could've just waited and got that one.

    What's the next scheduled release of new macbook models?

    Thing is I start graphic design school in January so I could technically wait until late december or even January BUT if there isn't going to be a new model out anytime soon I could use the macbook pro for other needs that I have as well and buy it right now. So what's the smart choice right now?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Early 2011 seems most likely, January-February is my guess.
     
  3. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Nobody knows, however its 'guestimated' to be around January time next year. Apple do not make public their road maps.

    Any change will be minor, so I would wait till January and then purchase the most recent.
     
  4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #4
    Do a search and you will find the 20 other threads made this week where everyone SPECULATES on Q1 2011 release...No one here works for apple so all you are gonna get is a Q1 2011 guess. Upgrades arent that great, Sandy Bridge blah blah blah just another version of the current ones with a little bump in speed and everyone thinks USB 3.0, just use FireWire and get over it. Buy it now because one isnt coming out before you goto school.
     
  5. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #5
    Thanks for the help guys! I truly appreciate it.

    If the changes aren't going to be too drastic then i'm heading down tonight to the Apple Store.
     
  6. kapurar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #6
    I am wondering the same thing...I am anxious to get a new MacBook Pro only to find out that is has been upgraded a month later. Page 2 suggests waiting as we are approaching the average replacement time.
     
  7. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    #7
    it's not safe to buy a macbook pro now. in fact, it's deadly dangerous. wait for the newer models
     
  8. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    You can wait forever to get the newest tech. It's better with Apple to jump straight in unless rumours, keynote etc mean it could happen imminently.
     
  9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #9
    Just buy it, half the people here are waiting for that .01 ghz speed bump and feel thats the difference between gold and crap. Something better is always going to be months away.
     
  10. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #10
    I'm on the same boat man. It's like I just want to go out and get one but I just had to make sure. Don't want to have that "should have waited" feeling, specially on a $1500+ laptop.
     
  11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

    wirelessmacuser

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2009
    Location:
    Planet.Earth
    #11
    Good decision, I have one of the current models in a 15" and it's great. I've had it since they were introduced, and of the dozen or so I've had over the years, this is one of the better ones.

    You'll be very happy with your purchase.
     
  12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #12
    I disagree. We are close to the end of the average update cycle so I think now is a bad time to upgrade if one wants the most for your money-- though people who own Apple stock may wish to promote this belief. :)
     
  13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #13
    The benefits that are coming out arent that great, the best would probably be USB 3.0 if apple decides to use it this cycle.
     
  14. Sveno macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #14
    Hello!

    I also plan to buy a new Macbook Pro, but I can afford it not until December this year. I think in this case I should wait these one or two extra months to get the newest model right?

    Best regards,
    Sveno
     
  15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2010
    Location:
    Pennsylvania, USA
    #15
    Its simple, if you need it buy it. If you can wait, wait.
     
  16. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    #16
    I can't afford to the buy the macbook pro right now either. I know by the time they refresh the mbp line I'll have more than enough so I'll be picking the mbp 13 then. I know quite a few friends waiting to do the same. you should wait
     
  17. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

    Winter Charm

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    #17
    Any changes will be minor? what are you smoking?

    Here's what i expect:

    1. Inbuilt flash storage (like the air) - Instant-on would be AWESOME.
    2. Better screen resolutions. if they do it for the air, why NOT the pro?
    3. Core i5/i7 with Sandy Bridge (apparently a much better achitecture for mobile computing)
    4. 12+ Hours of battery life (bigger battery & more room from eliminating the HDD bay.)
    5. Better Graphics Cards (a 4xx series?)

    I also want to see LightPeak, but that's too much of a stretch.

    In all likelihood, since :apple: has gone to a more yearly update schedule, we may have to wait for april, but as it is, i'll be waiting for Lion.

    If i dont get inbuilt flash storage, i WILL Be getting the Macbook Air instead!!! I LOVE the Pros, but i really want inbuilt flash storage... i do NOT want to shell out on some crap SSD's and have to worry about firmware updates and such, plus trim implementation etc. :mad:
     
  18. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #18
    You might get onboard flash storage (16-32GB) with the OS installed on it, but the HDD will not be removed. Utilizing only onboard flash would have two outcomes. Ridiculously expensive MBP's so that they still have a usable amount of storage, or MBP's at the same price point, but with so little storage that they're useless. Most people can't get by with only 64GB or 128GB of storage. Especially not people running bootcamp.

    Not to mention that with only onboard flash, you better have a back up of all your files because if a component on the logic board fails your flash memory will be disposed of along with it.
     
  19. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    Have any sources or even rumours that may indicate this? The OP was asking for purchasing advice. Living in hope for an upgrade such as that is a waste of time. You are better off buying the machine you want now and enjoying it.
     
  20. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2010
    #20
    If you really need it just buy it. There is no danger. If you don't need it hold onto your money.
     
  21. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    #21
    Can someone here help me real quick with a deal I found? Like in private? I need someone who knows about MacBooks (models and stuff) to help me if possible, I want to verify a deal I found. If thru private message or Windows Live Messenger, I would really appreciate it.
     
  22. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

    lilcosco08

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dayton
  23. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #23
    if you really need it today, go get it. The machines are quite nice. But if money is a factor at all regarding saving, I would wait for that reason, plus early 2011 will likely see a mbp refresh. SB or not, it will be better than what is out now. For apple to wait 12 months for their pro line would be absurd. The air went for an extreme because it is a unique notebook. Jan/Feb I am supremely confident it will happen. Keep monitoring macrumors and other sites for news. Probably after Thanksgiving info will pick up.
     
  24. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #24
    Sometimes not waiting for the newest update pays off. In May of '07 I bought my first MBP...less than a month later the refresh came out with slightly faster processor and upgraded graphics card...upgraded to the crap, time-bomb Nvidia 8600. At the time I was mildly upset, years later I'm delighted I bought before the upgrade. :)
     
  25. iTsKemez macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    #25
    i didnt feel like waiting so i just bought my macbook 6days ago, and i dont regret it at all, i can still return it but im all set :) you cannot never keep up with technology its always ahead
     

Share This Page