Safe place to buy a 2011 refurbished or used 17-inch Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by changfai, Nov 1, 2013.

1. changfai macrumors newbie

Does somebody know a safe place to buy a refurbished or used Macbook Pro?

The Apple Store is not an option as I'm looking for a 2011 17-inch and they don't sell those anymore.

By 'safe' I mean a legit store from which I can order one knowing I'll get what I payed for and not a broken laptop or even worse, a box full of... nothing!

So far I've found:

UsedMac - really bad reviews pretty much everywhere, so no longer an option.

GainSaver - interesting case, because I found several reviews saying "oh, they're shady", "stay away, it's a scam. you'll get nothing", but the majority of the reviews is quite good actually, like here and here... Then I found this. So, no longer an option

Ebay - I've never been too keen on Ebay, so the idea of buying a $1500 laptop from there just gives me chills... also, refurbished or used, 1-year warranty is a must! and that alone excludes most of the stuff on Ebay.

It also needs to ship to Europe, but most stores do these days...

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Oh, and by the way, a big thumbs down to Apple for discontinuing the 17-inch MBP.

2. orthm macrumors newbie

My dad got a 17' on Apple refurb store earlier this year, so they still pop up from time to time. Other options might be Amazon or B&H. Possibly big box stores that may have a leftover, but options are limited if you want to avoid ebay/craigslist.

3. changfai thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats B&H?

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I would visit refurb.me and setup a notification for when the 17" comes back in stock. About 2-3 weeks ago, they had all kinds of models.

5. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

6. changfai thread starter macrumors newbie

The US Apple Store doesn't ship to Europe. :(

:(

7. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

8. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

If there aren't any, keep checking back. You'll frequently see Early 2011 and Late 2011 models on there and at very reasonable prices. And it is Apple doing the refurbishing, so you get the same Apple limited warranty and the same eligibility for AppleCare that you do on a new Mac.

9. abbottcostello, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

abbottcostello macrumors newbie

I've never bought anything from them, but Powermax.com deals in used macs, hope I don't come across as a shill because I just referred someone else to their site in another post. They seem like a legit outfit.
    I ran across the site a few years ago when I was thinking of trading in my old G5 PPC on a new computer, but wound up keeping it.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They also have an amazing store I invite you to visit should you ever come to NYC.

11. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

Use a freight forwarder such as www.shipito.com

Buy stuff, have it sent there and then re-sent to you.

I'm in Australia. I have various things sent to Shipito. They repack it into one box and then send that.