Safe Sex or Abstinence? What should our schools be teaching our children?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Aug 4, 2009.

?

What should we teach our kids in school?

1. Safe Sex

41 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. Abstinence

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Both, but mostly safe sex

29 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. Both, but mostly abstinence

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I for one think we should be teaching our kids Safe Sex since abstinence has been pretty much proven to not work. Especially amongst horny teenagers that hump anything that moves. When I was in High School health class, I was so incredibly pissed off that they taught abstinence and not Safe Sex. I don't think we ever talked about condoms or birth control pills and if we did, it was just a quick blurb.

I think it's time we ditch the "DON'T HAVE SEX!!!" approach and teach our kids something that is proven to work -- safe sex.

Your thoughts?

2. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I'm 15 years old and I say abstinence all the way.

I just took my high school health class and they taught us about almost every single safe sex practice that exists, but still taught that abstinence is the best.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Safe sex and information on where to get morning after pills.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Both? Abstinence Only is awful, but we should at least try to convince the 5% of the population that it would be effective for...

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I wouldn't expect any less from the guy with the Obama logo. :rolleyes:

Who says you can't have it both ways? Schools should be promoting abstinence as the safest, and therefore best, path. They should also, however, teach safe sex because no matter how much they emphasize abstinence, there will still be a large percentage of students who engage in sexual activities, and should not be forced to do so unprepared because of anyone's agenda.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Abstinence is usually taught by the church anyways, I can't think of any other reason to be abstinent than if you are a member of a group who believes in it.

How is abstinence the "best" path? Why are we trying to make people not have sex?

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's the best path from a safety standpoint; I'm not judging anyone's morality. The teenage mind is not yet developed enough to fully understand its decisions. Advocating the safest path is the best route to take, but it also needs to be understood that not everyone will choose to do so, and those that don't shouldn't be punished for it. Hence the need to teach safe sex as well.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

abstinence does not work. in my opinion

i say they should teach both. i mean keep abstinence in mind but teach them to do it safely if they refuse to do abstinence. at least that way students wont have as much consenquences if they really did have sex

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Safe sex, as far as I know a few years of classroom teachings can not overcome 2000 years millions of years of evolution

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

hard to teach kids about sex. they think anal sex is not sex or oral sex is not sex. girls are starting to think that casual prostitution is ok.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Both, but spend the majority of the time on safe sex, given the statistics. ;) And memories of that age. :p

14. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Exactly, and hasn't this been proven scientifically? I don't have any evidence but I thought I heard about it. I'm a very spiteful person and the first time someone tells me not to do something that the first thing I want to do.;)

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Abstinence only does not work.

Abstinence as a viable option along with plenty of information about sexuality, waiting until you are ready (not until someone else thinks you're ready), how to safely have sexual activity of all types, etc. is what works to help prevent unwanted pregnancy and STIs.

Morality is for parents and the rest of "the village." School is for information.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Teach them both but encourage abstinence.

Like others have said Teenagers are not ready to deal with the emotional impacts of sex along with other risk that come with it but they have to know some kids are going to have sex so at least teach them ways to stay safe but do as much as possible to encourage them practice abstinence during HS at least.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

The people who think that abstinence is the only way typically don't care for science. So they would disregard those studies.

18. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

(hits forehead) argh! Why do I always forget that? You're right. I was at a steakhouse the other day and asked for my steak "as rare as a science teacher in Kansas."

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

ACT Science composite is 14th in the nation in science. :mad:

:p

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So, what, they bring a cow over to your table?

21. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Why is there even a thread about this? Teaching abstinence at schools is completely useless, not to mention unethical in some cases. Teacher's can't tell students how to live their lives.

22. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I would completely agree with you. But, I've talked to a lot of pro-abstinence and pro-abstinence-only people that actually demanded teachers go so far as controlling the students to ensure there were no sexual activities going on. These people also support school officials enforcing policies such as no-PDA-rules and the like.
    My talks with abstinence supporters have lead me to believe that most people who would favor such an education are seriously deluded and probably shouldn't be raising children.

23. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Which is better:

Teaching safe sex, knowing that statistically about 60-75% of all teens are sexually active by the age 19, so that they at least have the information readily available for them so that they can make an educated decision about their well being and the well beings of others?

or teaching abstinence like they did back in "Ye Olde Days" and watch the train wreck of pregnancies and STD's that are to follow?

You teach children both the OPTIONS of abstinence and safe sex. If you would like to protect yourself 100% against pregnancy and STD's, the only surefire way is through abstinence. Condoms, birth control pills, IUD'S, etc., are not 100% guaranteed.

However, if you choose to be sexual active, at least protect yourself to the best of your abilities.

Trying to teach only abstinence just withholds information to kids about what they can do to be safe. Teens are going to have sex, whether you tell them to or not. Might as well make sure they're well prepared.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Safe sex.. but emphasize Abstinence

Its about a well rounded education.

Just saying don't have sex is not the right answer, IMO.

help them understand and provide the unbiased information in a non-condensending way to engage in safe sex.

Teaching safe sex is not just about the act of sex in itself but about disease, infections and whatever else.

Saying don't teach it is really setting up the younger generations for failure.

Kids listen even though they appear not to be.

25. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I really do not understand how you can teach abstinence only. I am not familiar with the lesson plans, but I imagine the classes on this subject would be rather short. How can you actually teach abstinence without going into detail on the other options?

I personally think that schools should teach the kids the truth about safe sex and give students all the information available so they can make informed decisions. School should provide information and develop critical thinking skills and allow students to make up their own minds about what they want to do. If parents want their kids to be abstinent, they should begin teaching their children about the benefits of abstinence long before the child has sex education in highschool health class.