Safe to buy unlocked iPhone in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alt75, Mar 23, 2008.

1. alt75 macrumors member

Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are currently travelling through Hong Kong and will end up in the UK in August. We have seen some unlocked 8GB iPhones for sale for HKD$3500 (about $500 Australian). One shop told us that they had two types in stock, one where you need to cut the sim (I'm assuming the Turbosim method after a quick Google search) for $3500 and another where you don't need to do this which is about $4000.

I accept the lack of warranty and its implications if we buy them this way.

However, I am wondering which of these unlocked iPhones would be safer to purchase, in terms of usability when we get to the UK? Is there any difference?

We are very tempted to purchase these; if worst comes to worst we would be able to use them as slightly expensive iPod touches right?

Thanks

2. michaelJbrennan macrumors newbie

the worst thing that could happen is they could turn into iBricks i.e unusable. I wouldn't do it it seams to risky.

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

i wouldn't do it either. Too much cost and too much risk. Suppose u wait until u get to the UK and get a retail unit? But if u leave to UK to go to another country without IPhone availability, it will not work. Plus, by August the 3G version may be available.....

Good luck in your travels......

4. alt75 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies - to be honest I'm not too concerned if it only lasts me while I am in the UK as I tend to change phones every year or so anyway. And we're willing to take some degree of risk for an iPhone at this price.

However can anyone advise if one method of unlocking is better - Turbosim or the other method where we won't have to cut our sim cards? In terms of greatest chance of it working in the future.

thanks.