Safe to carry 17" MBP one-handed by the corner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by germ79, Jun 28, 2010.

1. germ79 macrumors newbie

I find myself carrying my 17" MBP like I do my netbook when moving from room to room in my home. When it is open, I grab the bottom corner with my thumb on top and fingers on bottom and carry it one-handed. With the weight of this thing (compared to my netbook) do I need to worry about it flexing and causing any kind of damage? Feels really sturdy, but just thought I'd ask.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

It's safe to carry it that way until you drop it. Actually, its not the dropping it that will cause problems, its the landing bit that hurts.... :D

Flex shouldn't be a problem.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah it should be fine, if your careful with it:eek: I carry my 13" MBP like that all the time!

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

I wouldn't do it, that puts a lot more force on the point your thumb is at than you think.

Always two hands.

5. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Unibody is hard to bend/flex. Yes it puts stress on it, but its very durable.

My Toshiba (plastic body) will BSOD if I pick it up by the corner. I think it flexes to the point where it bends the RAM out of place just a little bit and crashes the system.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I wouldn't do it simply because of the 'butter fingers' syndrome. You just never know when it'll strike.

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

would you pick up and carry a baby by his or her leg?

yeah...but I wouldn't do it:p

8. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Yeesh, I would never for a moment consider carrying it that way.

Two hands, always. I paid good money for my Mac :) and I wanna keep it safe and secure.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Like the iPhone 4 Steve wants you to hold it correctly. :D

10. van2010rulz macrumors regular

You paid about $2000 for that Mac. That is not safe. Not because you are putting more stress on the Macbook it self. You putting more stress on yourself when you drop it!

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

12. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Seems like a precarious way to hold your notebook. The 17" has a pretty large footprint to begin with too.

When I want to move my 15" MBP (lid open) one handed, I "cradle" it on my left forearm and stabilize the spine/lid with my left hand. Sort of the way a restaurant server might cradle a plate as he brings it to the table.

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

Think about the pressure on your thumb! Move your MBP too many times this way and you may get CTS (Carpal Thumb Syndrome).... :D

14. Lokrado macrumors regular

lol your nuts
    i did that for ages to my old 17" mbp 2008 non unibody and nothing happened, now the unibody has a 1/8 inch thick band around it and a lot more and a lot heavier structure. it won't do it any harm

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I only carry it by the corner when putting it a short distance away. Like if I'm with it on the couch I might pick it up by the corner to put it on the table :D

But thats with a 13". A reckon a 17" is a lil' bit too big for that...

16. JerseyBill macrumors member

I always carry my 17" in two hands - and often held against my chest just to be safe.

If you have seen any of the many photos on this site of people who dropped their unibodies - even from a low height onto a somewhat flexible floor - you would never carry it one hand.

A plastic computer flexes and snaps back to shape, maybe with a gouge or two. An aluminum computer flexes and stays bent - certainly with a gouge or two.

JB

17. Inside_line macrumors regular