Safe to charge iPhone4S with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeySamantha, Mar 24, 2012.

1. HeySamantha macrumors member

I just got an iPad 3 and I know that you can't charge the iPad with the iPhone charger (you can, it's just REALLY slow)... so would it be safe for the iPhone4S to be charged with the iPad 3 charger?

2. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Yep, works just fine for the iPhone 4S. :)

3. HeySamantha thread starter macrumors member

perfect, thanks. I figured as much.. I was just worried about maybe burning the out or something? Only because I know the iPad 3 has a much more powerful charger.

4. Macgeeza macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend it, it's a more powerful charger. It will probably charge the iPhone quicker but might make the battery hotter than normal.

Long term, might affect the life span of the battery.

It's better for any battery to be charged slower and keeping cooler.

Why not just use the charger for each specific device, the way apple designed it?. Is that tiny iPhone charger really going to take up that much more space in a bag?. (if that is the reason why you only want to use one charger)

5. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

That's not exactly how electricity works, just because the iPad charger has more current available doesn't mean the iPhone will draw it! Just think how much current is available from your wall socket...

The opposite COULD happen, the iPad burning out an iPhone charger by drawing too much current (or an iPhone burning out a normal USB port...). But thankfully, they make iPads (and iPhones) smart enough not to draw more current than they KNOW the device they're attached to can handle.

6. gadget123 macrumors 68000

You can charge it with the big charger but if you want that bit comes off anyway so you could use it as a normal Iphone charger.

I actually change my phone mostly via the PC and UBS.

7. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

8. HeySamantha thread starter macrumors member

I have 2 plugs and 3 apple products... Macbook Pro, iPhone4S and iPad 3. That's my main reason for asking, tbh.

9. Macgeeza macrumors regular

So why does the iPhone charge faster when using the iPad charger?, it must be getting a higher current.

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Well this is probably because the iPad charger is able to supply more current. The iPhone still has a theoretical limit as to how much it can draw before it does cause an issue.

11. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

The iPad charger is 10W & the iPhone charger is 5W, so it will charge faster, but not overcharge.

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

take a look at the plugbug, attaches to your macbook charger to give you an ipad charger so you can charge both at the same time with 1 outlet.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I never realized they were different chargers. I have been charging my iPhone with my iPad charger since I got it last week. Never even took the iPhone charger out of the box. I did notice how fast it charged, thought that was just the iPhone having a way smaller battery. I leave it plugged in overnight too, hmmm

14. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I've charge my 4S a couple of times with my ipad charger and my phone doesn't get warm. I do notice that it does charge faster. Never had a problem though..

James

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPhone will only take the amount of current it can safely accept. Just because the iPhone charger doesn't supply the higher current doesn't meant the iPhone 4S can't accept it.

The iPhone charger is made the way it is (providing a lower current) mainly so that it can be really small to fit in the box, and so it can be cheaper to mass produce. Not because that's all the current the iPhone can take.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If only they made international plugs. Their website says they will early this year which has already passed?

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why not read up on this? It's discussed in countless prior threads. The device will only draw what it needs. No negative impact. Don't assume -- especially if you're trying to give advice.

Nope. The device cannot draw more current than the charger supplies.

18. cynics macrumors G3

That is true but keeping a battery cooler over the course of its life is technically better for it.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

One could argue that the iPhone charging at its max vs the oem charger is more harmful. I notice a temperature and speed difference of charging using my 2amp car charger vs the oem charger.

How much it will effect it I don't know nor do I care. I would assume any difference in longevity would be minute or else apple would advice against doing it.

19. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Yay for selective quoting to make me sound wrong. Read what people write. I clearly said there was intelligence in the device to detect the rated output of the charger to avoid damaging a charger. Only in a shorted cable or a cable designed to trick the device into drawing higher current (they're available) can a charger or computer get damaged from overload.

20. HeySamantha thread starter macrumors member

oh damn, that's awesome! I'll have to order one of those in the near future! Until then, I need to pay off some of my ipad haha