Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teleteven90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hi.
I swapped out an older Mac mini with a newer one and just swapped the SSD to make things easy.
Now I am wondering if it is secure to sell the old Mac - I never disabled anything regarding iCloud before removing the SSD.
Is there a way how a new macOS Installation on the old mini might be able to access my iCloud (Keychain for example) data?

I've seen that after the SSD swap the new Mac mini wasn't able to access iCloud Keychain so I assume that access might be based on hardware details..

Thanks!

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
It is my belief iCloud is based on your Apple ID. Only those using your Apple ID can access data in iCloud.

When you replaced your ssd, you probably set up the new SSD without all the iCloud access settings.

teleteven90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hey
No, i swapped the SSD including the operating system. After starting the Mac every iCloud function was working fine except for Keychain (for which I was asked to enter the password to allow this Mac to sync with Keychain)

So I assume that iCloud Keychain is connected with some kind of hardware id which brings me to the questions if my old Mac still is able to connect to my iCloud Keychain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.