Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
Recently got a 2019 MacBook Pro which comes with a 96watt power adapter and usb c cable. Plugged this into my 2018 iPad Pro and it charged fine. Was just wondering if there any long term issues doing this? I have an Anker 30 watt adapter that Ive been using but it would be nice to only have to carry one adapter and cable when traveling...

tlaw81

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
North Carolina
I might be wrong, but as far as I understand it, this is fine. The device is smart enough to know when to stop charging. But, I could very well be wrong. I do this a lot with the iPad adapter and my phone. It charges much faster.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Recently got a 2019 MacBook Pro which comes with a 96watt power adapter and usb c cable. Plugged this into my 2018 iPad Pro and it charged fine. Was just wondering if there any long term issues doing this? I have an Anker 30 watt adapter that Ive been using but it would be nice to only have to carry one adapter and cable when traveling...
It's also safe to use. It won't explode on you. ;)

Reactions: aloper

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It’s safe. USB-C powered devices from Apple all follow the USB-C Power Delivery standard, which involves negotiation of power between the charger and the device.

Charging speed always begins at 5V, usually around 5-10W, and slowly ramps up to e.g. 15V / 2A (for iPad Pros) i.e. 30W and continues on all the way up to 20V / 4.5A+ (latest MacBook Pro) - only as much as the device can take.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Apple would be in deep trouble if their own charging devices would cause damage to their other products. The device takes what wattage it can deal with from the charger.

Yes it's safe and will work, but why would Apple be in trouble if a charging brick designed and sold for one device wouldn't work with a completely different device that they sell? Why would any company be "in deep trouble" for that? I don't even except completely different devices to be cross compatible. It's just an added benefit that they are.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yes it's safe and will work, but why would Apple be in trouble if a charging brick designed and sold for one device wouldn't work with a completely different device that they sell? Why would any company be "in deep trouble" for that? I don't even except completely different devices to be cross compatible. It's just an added benefit that they are.

Because of the wide array of devices with that very same plug - that’s one of the benefits of USB-C. Customers expect a certain level of compatibility here. If you’d release a charger that’s just a white box only compatible with one device why use a universal power plug???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.