Safe way to change the name of your "Macintosh HD"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Searched the forum, found nothing...even though I remember reading about it in here.

Can you just highlight the Macintosh HD and change the name without screwing other things?

All my Mac's are in a LAN and the HD on all of them have the same name, some users get confuse at times so I want to make it distinctively clear which HD is which.

TIA

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yes, you can just change it with no ill effects.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can do it with no problem. As far as the computer is concerned, it is always "/". In OS8 and OS9, the Drive Name was actually a required part of the path, so changing the name would often corrupt the entire systems. Today since OS X is UNIX, the name of the boot drive is just a label.

TEG

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No it wouldn't.
    Your home folder is the folder you DO NOT want to change. The HDD is no biggy.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes... It would. I've seen it happen many times.

TEG

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I haven't, but fair enough I'll go ahead and believe you. I'll admit I didn't get into many Mac OS networks back in those days.

7. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

One caveat ... (because I did this recently)

I have two HD's and one Time machine drive (external) and it bugged me one day that when you are looking at them in the finder, they only sort alphabetically and I didn't like the order.

To make a long story shorter, I spent about a half hour naming and renaming the three drives back and forth between about four or five names seeing how I liked each.

The computer got *very* confused as to which one was the Time Machine drive (several times), because I was calling it the same name as the main drive or swapping the name back and forth etc. I ended up having to disconnect the Time Machine drive and reboot a few times so that the system could re-scan the bus and figure out which drive was which again.

So yes, you *can* confuse the computer if you screw around enough with the drive names. I suggest doing it on paper first and then changing them just once.