Safer Bet - Current MBP or "Rev A" of possible new, updated MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jiholl, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jiholl macrumors member

Wonder who feels the same as me...I tend to feel more comfortable getting the last build of a series...i.e. the current MBPs vs. the Rev A of a newer one...I usually feel that last in the series has most of the "kinks" worked out..where as a Rev A can often have lots of build issues. And current one is certainly powerful enough for most of use, in general, and for the next few years. Anyone feel this way....??? thanks

2. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

MBPs have excellent resale value. Enjoy the Rev. A and sell when the next one comes out. BTW, problems can occur with any revision Apple hardware.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I used to believe in the "Rev A" curse, but have been very much pleased with a few of my rev a purchases as of late, including a aluminum iMac, the revamped iMac G5 with isight, and even the iPhone. Havent has a single problem with all of those. I just ordered a MBA too on this premise. I think the new MBP will be worth the wait, and the possible risk" of a rev A. I would just hold out a bit longer and enjoy the latest technology.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The next MBP could be a Rev "E" (successor to the current Rev D) instead of a completely new MBP.

Anyway, like you, I feel more assured buying a product which has been re-touched many times.

5. JWest macrumors 6502

Well, if the new one's come with penryn goodness, then I think the heat issue that the MBP's are famous for should be solved, and that's really the only issue I'm concerned about.

6. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I had a Rev. A 12" Powerbook that was the best computer I have ever owned. I also had a Rev. A MacBook Pro that had terrible heat and humming issues, but a new logic board (free from apple) fixed it all right up! Rev A's are not as bad as people make them seem.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

My principle (one that I only sometimes follow) is to get the last generation of each model. That way you usually get the best and most refined laptop with the least issues. Going for a rev A is a recipe for frustration. It may be that some people are happy, but there are always more issues and, if you NEED to work on your computer it's not worth the risk IMO. Go for stability, maturity over the latest and coolest and you'll be happier.

8. matperk macrumors 6502

I have a rev a MBP core duo, and really, I have absolutely no problem with it. I had the whine issue, but it never really bothered me very much. I had a fast machine that did what I wanted it to, and I had it for 6 months before the people waiting out the rev. A did.

6 months of awesomeness! :D

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

How long do you plan to keep your rev A MBP?

10. matperk macrumors 6502

Upgrading upon next revision. :)

I know a few people who got them when I did that are keeping them for a couple more years (4 year plan for them)

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Cool, 2 and a half years isn't too bad. I plan to keep mine for about 3 years just because I invested on AppleCare.

12. RHD macrumors 6502

Well, I bought the last of the TiBooks. Three weeks before the new Ali MacBook Pros came out.
    It transpired that the reason they stopped making laptops out of Titanium was because it blocked the AirPort signal, my TiBook has always had an Airport range of 6 feet, and it has always had a battery life of less than an hour.
    Other than that it is fabulous and still going strong, if rather slowly now.

So you see some you win, some you lose and nothing is ever perfect.

Still I'm a bit worried about these bad screen issues people report with the current MBP's. I hope they fix that one.

13. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Only Mac users are idiotic enough to buy an old model of something for fear that the new revision would have issues.

For PC users there are no such concerns, no need to wait for a special event, no need to whinge for a bi-yearly update. Just buy, anytime you feel like it.

14. rsm5068 macrumors regular

Don't forget about the rising cost of Ti.

I personally say go for it, that's what I will do if things work out the way I want them to. Fear of the "Rev A" is something that wastes time, and if you live in that fear you will never buy anything. Besides that's why we buy the AppleCare, that way if anything happens it's Apple's problem and they get to pay for it.

15. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

:mad:

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I don't think the next model of MBP will be a Rev. A, as there won't be anything radically different in the design. The Macbook Air is a Rev. A. The original core duo Macbook/Pro was a Rev. A. The MBP will just be a Rev. E. That said, I don't think Apple has ever released a completely problem free revision. It's a risk you take either way.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bought an iMac in August just after the aluminum ones were introduced. So far its been rock solid. As for my MBP, I just got one last Monday to use in school.

So far, I'm very happy with my choices.

18. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Jesus Christ iW00t, is it my imagination or are most posts you write full of nothing but hate and sarcasm; you seem consistently negative against Apple products and Apple users yet you put as your location: "Defenders of Apple Guild". :confused:

You mean "Defenders of Microsoft Guild" right? Oh wait, the Zune logo on your profile picture gave it away ... :rolleyes: