Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
What is the safest way to get lint that is stuck down in the earphone hole (4s)?

What can you use that won't scratch the insides?

slr001

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
What is the safest way to get lint that is stuck down in the earphone hole (4s)?

What can you use that won't scratch the insides?

I usually use a q-tip after I get out of the shower... I can turn my head sidewise and use the mirror in the bathroom to see.

When I put the earphones back in the hole I can hear again.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Now I don't know what to do. Is there any real advice?

Try compressed air laterally across the jack. This may cause the air inside the jack to be sucked out, hopefully taking any debris with it. Blowing straight into it should also stir things up enough that they eventually blow out, but be careful.

Michael

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
wow, this thread got a bit out of hand lol..

in all seriousness I'd try the previously suggested canned air, or even an unfolded paperclip (probably turn the phone off first)..

neither should cause you any issues unless you're like jamming the paper clip in the headphone jack lol

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
wow, this thread got a bit out of hand lol..

in all seriousness I'd try the previously suggested canned air, or even an unfolded paperclip (probably turn the phone off first)..

neither should cause you any issues unless you're like jamming the paper clip in the headphone jack lol

I always use compressed air, is a paper clip good?

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
because you touch yourself at night

Is that from a movie? I can't decide if it is that or just because I had a friend who used to say that all the time when we were teenagers.

Edit: family guy. answered my own question.

Last edited:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I haven't had to do this since I got my iPhone 4, but when I did have to, I would shut off the phone and then use either a toothpick or paper clip. I preferred the toothpick since the wood would be much less likely to do any damage, but at work I would just use a paperclip and be careful about it. As long as you don't go jabbing it in there and purposely scraping the sides you should be fine.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
WAIT - OP is not trying to soften his skin. Just to get crud out of his earpiece.

How does Lanolin work??:confused:

Placed in the user's ear to attract the crud into his ear??:confused:

Rubbed on the earpiece??:confused:

Post is slightly lacking in specifics.:D:rolleyes:

Anchorman reference. It just felt right.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Was about to suggest a toothpick. What I do is snap the end off it first - that gives you a nice bunch of rough splinters at the end that hook the fluff for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.