Safety of USB backup when run thru Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by class77, Feb 27, 2012.

1. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

My husband wants to attach his backup drive to the USB port on the Airport Extreme, so that he can run Time Machine for his backup wirelessly. I've never done it this way and I wonder about the safety of the information that he's backing up.

I know that the drive will show up as a shared drive and I can withhold guests from accessing it. Is there any way to password the drive or otherwise insure the info? Not talking CIA level encryption, just trying to keep the information as safe as possible. Am I understanding correctly that even to access the drive, you would have to know both the modem and the network password? Am I worrying needlessly about the level of security?

TIA

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you concerned that someone within your home network will have access? If not, as long as your wireless network is secured by a good WPA2 password, the chances that anyone could or would hack your network to gain access to the drive is extremely remote.

3. simsaladimbamba

You have to know the network password and the password of the user that the external HDD is limited to.
    You also need to have physical access to the same wireless and wired network.
    If you have a strong wireless network password (WPA2 - mine is 25 characters long), it is almost impossible to access the wireless network for outsiders, unless they really know what they are doing (hacking) and are determined to do it, as cracking a long password (it shouldn't be "NeelixIsGoingToCookUsSomeDisgustingMeal", but more like "N33iiks1sg01ngt0c00ku550m3d15gu5t1n5", which is not stored in dictionaries hackers use to crack password) does take time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hey! How'd you guess my password!?!? :eek:

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As suggested, secure with a password and you will be fine...I have Drives attached to my TC, works without any issue at all...And fine through m AE too.

6. simsaladimbamba

You are a self proclaimed Star Trek Voyager activist, as evident by your lush display of lines in your avatar (which is of course related to your early childhood problems with authority), and as you are so adamant in changing other mints and minds about the proper virus calibration and non-existent health statuses, and watching Academy Awards with the sound and video turned off.
    The password was easypeasy, once I knew all the facts and drugged you with the 24 truth serum, Bourne brought over from Vancouver, once he destroyed Division and married a Sydney in Bristol, while being hungover from constant, .. ah, now there are two cats, one young, one old. I hope they get to get out this year.