Safeway is at it again, 4 year old interrogated.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Nov 26, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Anyone remember the supermarket chain that had a pregnant lady and her husband arrested last month when they forgot to pay for a sandwich? Now they've interrogated a 4 year old and forced her to sign a paper that banned her from Safeway stores (mind you she can't read or write). What did she do you ask? She ate a dried apricot out of a bag and put it back on the shelf, her dad didn't see. Luckily, the security guard responsible for this has already been fired. I think it might be time for this chain to review their employee training procedures.

Link

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

wow. which is worse? this or the pregnant lady?

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I pick this. At least the pregnant lady was an adult.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Thats just awful. Sure, the kid needs to be told she did wrong, but there are age appropriate ways of doing so and this was not one of them.

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I think this one is definitely worse as well. Well I think there is no doubt Safeway could have handled the situation with the pregnant lady and her husband better than they did. I also find it hard to believe that both she and her husband conveniently forgot they ate a sandwich each while shopping. Maybe one of them forgetting.. but both? Hmm

But the situation with the 4 year old is altogether different. This is clearly a case of really not understanding the implications of it and you can easily imagine how it could happen. It is kind of like taking your dog to Petsmart, having it munch a treat off, and then Petsmart arresting the dog for doing so.

In both cases there is a lack of common sense on the part of Safeway, but this latest story is flat out ridiculous.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Odd story. How does a security guard "force" a 4-year-old to sign a statement saying anything with a parent there? Maybe the parent was scared or something, I don't know. How did management not get involved at the time?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My guess would be to offer the child a dried apricot .

8. torbjoern, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

This is sick. Don't security guards learn anything about law and ethics during their training?

EDIT: Or do they have quotas which they have to fill? Not that it would be an excuse, I'm just curious.

9. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

These are not "security guards". They don't have real training. Most of them are dbag 18 year old kids out of high school who didn't go to college and can't get any job other than a minimum wage rent a cop job.

Proof that they have no training is the fact that this dipshit made the 4 year old "sign" the paper. You have to be 18 to sign any legal binding documents.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The paper is no problem.

He just has to change his appearance, like grow-up.

"I'll be back!!"

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

They should join OWS.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Real, actual police academy only takes about six months, during which they still are not taught not to spray pepper spray down the throat of a non-combative suspect, and the sort of person who becomes a security guard can't be troubled with even that much education. Work it out.

Of course my reaction to this differs from the one I had in the other thread: this guard was an idiot of the highest caliber. Kids do not automatically know how stores work, and as such there is hardly one of us who has not "shoplifted" at some point, usually candy, though we may not be able to recall it. Mom or Dad finds out, returns to pay for the item, usually with the child and looking suitably embarrassed as an educational experience, and it's done.

Having a pre-literate four-year-old girl sign paperwork indicating that she understands the consequences of her villainy is like a scene from a black comedy about a police state.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data," but combined with the other story (of which I am still a bit skeptical, mind you) it makes me wonder if someone issued an executive memo with a phrase like "zero tolerance" in it at some point in the last six months. If so, then the guard should be fired, but so should the idiot executive who drafted the memo.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I had an employee work for me and Safeway and what he told me about them is very consistent with the story.

His father also worked there and he told me they are the most callous employer in America. Maybe they are or are not, but they are definitely near the bottom.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What a ridiculous action on the part of Safeway. At least the guard didn't pepper spray the child so perhaps there is hope. Maybe they will learn from these incidents and train their employees better, though it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

That's only because it wasn't a Houston Safeway.

17. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

You bleeding heart liberals are always so soft on crime. That 4 year old girl should be in the 'hole' of a supermax prison doing hard time with zero chance of parole.

;)

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree - this doesn't automatically indicate a systemic issue with the way Safeway runs their stores, but if the event can be linked to any specific policy, it ought to be stopped immediately and the author of the policy shown the door.

19. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Safeway has a security guard? None of the supermarkets around here have security guards except for Target.