Sahara Chip

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I know this chip has been talked about here before, but I heard the Sahara chip supports some sort of quad processing.

In other words, inside of the main Sahara Chip, there are 4 micro-chips running, supporting the main chip.

Man, that thing could reach some wicked speeds. It would beat the pants off of a G4 too

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
yeah sure.... my ibook has a sahara, i bet you it BLOWS a g4 lol...

what you probally mean is that it has 4 parts, and each one can be turned off to conserve battery life, and that isnt in the sahara. the Power4s DO have multichips in it though.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Sahara Chip

Originally posted by MacAztec
I know this chip has been talked about here before, but I heard the Sahara chip supports some sort of quad processing.

In other words, inside of the main Sahara Chip, there are 4 micro-chips running, supporting the main chip.

Man, that thing could reach some wicked speeds. It would beat the pants off of a G4 too
No... the G3 Sahara is just one chip. It is faster than equally-clocked G4s though, AltiVec aside. It's a shame the Sahara isn't available in more Mac models, because it kicks ass. Less than 4w of power consumption at 800MHz. Give me a couple of those in my PowerBook, please, so I can enjoy the 5 hours of battery life Apple promised me. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Re: Sahara Chip

Originally posted by MacAztec

That would be IBM's Power4 line of processors. It has 4 cores an can turn them on or off individually.

The G3 is an economical processor. It must run on its own. The Power4 costs more than a PowerMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.