Carrier Sales not looking too good in Hong Kong for iPhone 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stylinexpat, Oct 4, 2013.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Some bad news for Apple lovers I was walking around here in Hong Kong and many shops have plenty of stock of the new iPhone 5C smartphones but I have not seen anyone actually buying one I have seen people buying Sony Ericsson's new Smartphones and Samsung's new Smartphones. No stock of the iPhone 5S at the retail shops for individual sales though they did have stock to purchase with contract and I saw very few people buying the new iPhone 5S.

This is Hong Kong and this is the Golden Holiday week for the Chinese which means this is bad news for Apple

2. Lammercy macrumors regular

Yeah and the guy sitting next to me in class has a Samsung Galaxy S4 and the guy in front of him has a Nokia Lumia this can only mean bad news for Apple.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I saw a couple of guys in the mall today buying samsung and htc phones from Verizon. Apple is doomed.

4. applesnacks macrumors newbie

Well to tell you the truth, why would anyone need to buy any of the new Apple phones? You know? The iPhone 5 everyone already has.

Apple's sales have been decreasing year over year because the market is so oversaturated.

Neither the S or C is breaking any sales records.

5. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

So Apple must have been lying about selling 9 million handsets over launch weekend and the sales records being broken this year then?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...e-Sales-Top-Nine-Million-Sets-New-Record.html

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

What's the pricing differential between the 5C & 5S in China?

What percentage of the population can afford an iPhone?

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You do understand the difference between Hong Kong and China right.

8. sheath huler macrumors newbie

9. applesnacks macrumors newbie

10. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Totally with this. I have been saying this for long. Apple is good and makes solid hardware and classy software but this same same stuff is not going to cut it.

As much as I know the iPhone is doing its job and has pretty much everything that consumer needs but buyers are looking for something new. Apple just pushes its own agenda and does not listen to market. I know there was news that they sold 9 million in 3 days but it all hype and marketing but I don't see anything great about iP5S/C. There is no need to upgrade or buy if you don't care.

You will soon see the bad news around how the iPhone 5C inventory is sitting around and Apple is going to further discount it. I think Apple already knew that. They must have thought about selling 5C at cheaper rate but thought why not push it at high price. If does not sell then will cut it later. No hurry!!

At least they will get the initial suckers in this hype.

Finally, I am big Apple proponent and love what they do but most of the time they just push their agenda on consumers as if like telling them "We know what is better for you".

Well I know people will tell me, nobody forced you to buy blah blah but this is just my overall opinion. If apple continues to ignore their cult fans, I think they will realize soon that people won't accept any minor upgrades they sell.

Good luck though. I want some competetion so that Apple can wake up and innovate (no that FP scanner hype, Siri etc.)

11. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Except that analysts are saying that the 5s outsold the 5c by over 3 to 1. Which means that opening weekend for the 5s was still more than the 5 if true.

12. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Except the sales haven't been 50/50, have they?

13. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

With the 5S alone pulling in numbers that exceed the iPhone 5, I'm sure Apple isn't worried about current 5C sales. It's an older model repackaged, not the top flagship. It's just bonus profit on top of the tons of 5S sales they are getting. 9 million in one weekend is pretty extraordinary no matter how you spin it. I'm anxious to see how crazy the quarterly results are when they come in.

14. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And your explanation for the 5 million or so of the 5 sold last year…and the fact that that sales increased every year for each new phone released?

Apple is still doing quite awesomely and has nothing to worry about, at this time.

15. applesnacks macrumors newbie

True. Apple has taken almost all of the Blackberry customers, Nokia customers...

You know what they always say, if they didn't buy an iPhone this year they're getting the next one.

16. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I was walking around my city the leafes were falling to the ground. They were nummerous! So let me conclude: There is a black hole inside the earth. It's growing bigger and bigger. Today just the leafs fall, tomorrow we all will be soacked in. I tell ya!!!!!

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

increasing not decreasing ;)

18. wxman2003 Suspended

9 million sold in the first 3 days. No other manufacturer can come close to saying that with any of their releases. In fact, Apple is the only one that posts the ACTUAL number of phones sold over that weekend. Samsung and the others, don't even dare for fear of embarrassment. Nope, they quote how many shipped. They may have shipped 5 million, but only sell 10. But they post the 5 million shipped number instead.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

What? iPhone sales increased 20% in Q3 2013 compared to Q3 2012. And that doesn't include the September 20th launch of iPhone 5s/5c.

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/23/apples-q3-profits-ipad-sales-dip-while-iphone-sales-reach-over-31m/

Apple is launching in more countries including on China mobile which will further increase sales.

I agree markets like the USA and Europe and some parts of Asia are becoming very saturated.

Apple isn't. "Growing" like some investors like. It's impossible to growth like apple has the past several years considering the size of apple.

20. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

OMG after reading this I need to run out and sell my iPhone 5s. I hope I can get $50 out of it... :eek:

21. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I can't see an iPhone in the hand of anyone in a one block radius. And that guys using a windows tablet. The horror!

22. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

IMO, the 5c is the device that will outsell in the long term between the full rebuilds, especially when price is reduced to $50 which typically happens at the 6 month mark post release. The 5c will allow sustained growth, while the flagship device will be for the existing customer.

23. Aye macrumors regular

My office mate has an S2 and he is an annoying Phandroid.

I'll probably give him some slack if he has an S4 at least.

Apple is doomed because it's arch-rival's annoying and obsessed phandroids are very loyal even though or because they probably got their S2s for free. :D

24. ABC5S, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

Apple sold over 6 million iPhone 5S's first weekend of release, breaking record of iPhone 5's

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/23...-5c-sales-top-nine-million-in-launch-weekend/

May want to read this...

"Apple's iPhone 5s tops sales charts at big 4 US carriers, iPhone 5c close behind"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-at-big-4-us-carriers-iphone-5c-close-behind

25. flipdippy macrumors newbie

I've said all along - the best strategy would have been to give the 5c a unique feature so people had to make a harder decision. Like - if they could've found a way to get the 5c a battery that gets 30-40% more than the old 5 or new 5S...that would differentiate the devices more. With a feature like that, nobody would be whining about the fact it's $549 off contract.

Conversely, I think people are being overly harsh on the 5S. This device is brilliant. It is the best iPhone yet. I have been shocked how useful touch ID already is, and the camera for the first time makes me feel confident I can get a decent picture of all the funny and spontaneous things my kids do.

Even worse - Apple chose a bad year to offer the new device in 3 colors. All the teenagers in my extended family want the gold or silver 5S - not the 5c. I think Apple's going to have a lot of returns on the 5c between 12/26 - 12/31 this year.