Sales of 13-inch MBP compared to the 15-inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boesky, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

Are there any official numbers floating around? Curious to see how they compare.

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I know its not exactly what you wanted but the guy where I bought mine said most people choose 13". He said he sells one 15" a day as opposed to 5-10 13".

I wasn't sure which to get myself...but some time browsing the shop made it very clear that the 15" was my huckleberry. I love this machine. I know it wont ever be made but I would love to have a MacBook Air 15". I just love that screen size and and a super light and thin 15" would kick ass.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

13" is the cheapest. Regardless of size, it would easily sell the most. But in this case, cost is the biggest factor and the 13" sells because its cheap. That's the case for most people.

4. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

then might as well get the new unibody macbook... its cheaper.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Not everybody looks towards the the refurbished section via the tiny link in the bottom corner of the web page. Even then, buying a refurbished product doesn't sit well with some. Many here (including me) are fine with it, others aren't.

6. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

look at how many people but the 13" MBP just because of the name...

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The only official numbers would come from Apple and they don't break their sales figures down to the model level.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't know how you got "refurbished" from "new unibody MacBook"... :confused:

This is an interesting comment, and one I'm not sure I entirely agree with. For example, I see many more 24" iMacs than 20" models, even though the 24" was more expensive.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Because in the laptop world, it makes more sense to have a more portable device.

If the 17" some how had the portability of the 13", it would probably see better sales.

For most, 17 inches is ridiculous for a laptop. Hell, a 13" barely fits on a desk at a college/university.

One might argue "What about the air?!" Well, the Air was initially priced ridiculously high for slower internals. It also lacks many ports, CD drive, the glass screen, and glass trackpad. Combine that with a reduced battery and you have yourself a slow seller.

10. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

This is an interesting comment, and one I'm not sure I entirely agree with. For example, I see many more 24" iMacs than 20" models, even though the 24" was more expensive.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, I have always preferred 12-13" laptops as they offer the best compromise between portability and keyboard/screen size as far as I am concerned. If on the other hand (as many people do) this is your only computer and it rarely leaves the desk then... go the biggest, most powerful one you can get.

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think that poster was referring to the latest generation of the MacBook, the polycarbonate 'unibody' design.

12. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Looking at the Top Sellers list on Apple or Amazon, the 13 is always ahead of the 15, my guess would be 5 to 1, now that the 13 has the SD slot and FW. Prior to the last rev. I would guess it was maybe 3 to 1, there are a lot of Pro users who need FW.