Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonycpsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Title says it all. Under OS X 10.3.4, I like to mount SAMBA shares from my network, but when my Powerbook sleeps and wakes up, the shares disappear, and I need to remount them. This is a hassle. Any known workaround / fix for this issue?

Thanks.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yay! I mean... ahem

Well this is most likely the fix for Samba shares staying connected when waking from sleep. If you weren't connected to a network when you woke up your Mac, your computer would freeze for like 10 seconds or so (not exact number, but it was hella long). I believe I feedbacked them about that if I'm not mistakened. Oh well, you could always not sleep your Mac.

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
Not sure if you are aware of why the shares disconnect. Sleep mode is not much different from turning your computer off - almost everything gets turned off, but the state of your computer before it was put to sleep is saved so it can return straight away when you wake it up. As the previous poster said, it probably doesn't auto re-connect your shares in case the network the shares are on isn't available when the computer wakes up.

A few ideas of how to get the shares back quickly/easily. Have the shares in your favourite servers (add them in the connect to server dialog if you haven't already), and use cmd-K shortcut in finder to get "connect to server" dialog. Or, if you open finder, click on network, then go to where your shares are. Drag the icons onto your dock (the section to the right of the line). When you click these icons in your dock, it will automount the shares.

tonycpsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
kaylee said:
Not sure if you are aware of why the shares disconnect. Sleep mode is not much different from turning your computer off - almost everything gets turned off, but the state of your computer before it was put to sleep is saved so it can return straight away when you wake it up. As the previous poster said, it probably doesn't auto re-connect your shares in case the network the shares are on isn't available when the computer wakes up.

A few ideas of how to get the shares back quickly/easily. Have the shares in your favourite servers (add them in the connect to server dialog if you haven't already), and use cmd-K shortcut in finder to get "connect to server" dialog. Or, if you open finder, click on network, then go to where your shares are. Drag the icons onto your dock (the section to the right of the line). When you click these icons in your dock, it will automount the shares.

I'm aware of why they disconnect. And your suggestions for getting the shares back are fine -- but it's still a hassle, especially when the authentication dialog pops up each time, even if I choose to save it to my keychain (no idea why.)

It seems to me the OS, for all the great things it has, should be smart enough to say "oh, hey, the network is back up now, let's go check on those shares that were open." And it should *definitely* save the userid/password I'm using to connect. Even Windows does that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.