Same Sex Kiss Day - 15 April 2009

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.samesexkiss.org/

I particularly like the ring of homo hug-in. Although I honestly cannot understand why there can't be more tongue in kissing.

We'll see if this stays out of the PRSI or not.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Actually, at most Fortune 500 companies, they include same-sex partners in health plans, and prohibit discrimination against LBGT people. I'm not sure if that means you can't be fired just for being gay, but I would imagine it does.

Anyways, good luck to the participants, and have fun. ;)

3. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I'm busy that day.
    That's the day I bend over and let the IRS kiss my ass!

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm with you, I laughed at the homo hug-in one, that was great... More power to the gay community. I would like to see some change in thinking happen in this country..

This too can technically be put into this category. :eek: :p

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

The world is falling apart. I'm glad i live in BFE Missouri.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm less interested in who kisses whom and how than whether or not it takes 15 minutes to get the "half-caf, vanilla shot, chai latte" twunts to move through so I can get a simple freaking cup of coffee.

Wanna suck face? Fine, go ahead. Just PLEASE don't waste my time making a demonstration out of it, straight or gay, young or old, or any other "socially relevant" combination.

And if you're short a date, don't ask me to join in, because I really am pretty unattractive and don't want to gross you out. Unless you're a Hooters calendar girl. Or Leekohler. I'd smooch Lee once for the cause. ;)

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

That's pretty much everyday. There's not much controversy over that...

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah dude i'm all for kissing my girlfriend on non same sex day kiss a thon

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You are right about most Fortune 500 companies prohibit discrimination against the GLBT people. As of August 2008 94%! The number I was unable to find was what percentage of the workforce works for Fortune 500 companies.

I have been working for over 30 years; and never worked for a Fortune 500 company. It has only been for almost the last ten years that I have worked for a company does have a policy prohibiting discrimination against GLBT's. More a policy of acceptance of diversity. But still no chance of including a same sex partner on ones health plan.

Prior to that I had to be careful at my other jobs. Had a few homophobic managers - one that gloated about I was lucky to get the position since turn over was low; but he was able to fire a fagot. Stayed just long enough at that job to find something better about six months later. Sort of a happy day on my last day there. Went in to turn in my keys and such; looked at him and said that it was a shame that he was such a bigot - he looked stunned at my words. (In six months I had become #1 in sales) Left him with the words - you just lost the best selling fagot you ever had.

Guess that depends on the state one lives in. Some states allow for an employer to release an employee without cause/reason. Though many companies will try to document some reason for the termination in order to help in fighting an unemployment insurance claim.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not sure what it means that I'm admitting this, but when I saw the thread title I assumed it was an invitation for straight people to participate in a same sex kiss-in. On some level, I'm relieved; I don't know why.

I'm gonna go back to my room now. :eek:

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'll be honest, I thought the same thing. :p

13. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

"People who vote against gays do so because they don't know us and they're not used to us."

Wrong.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

WOW! compelling argument. That must have taken a long time to think about and mull over before you came up with your response... :p

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

If gays and lesbians want equality (and I'm all for that), doing silly things organizing smooches at a Starbucks seems to be the opposite of what most want. Having straight people see you kiss isn't going to change things such as gay marriage or adoption laws.

You might feel better flaunting it but what does it accomplish in the long run?

16. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Coming directly from one of said voters, you can't get any closer to the source. No argument needed.
    There's a myriad of reasons, not one of which is unfamiliarity.

17. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm not sure what you are saying, but. meh, whatever..

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's always one, who instead of wisely ignoring the thread, decides to take issue.

19. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Not all Republicans are against gay rights...

Example #1...

Me.

Don

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cut the (now deleted) off-topic stuff about political parties. If you're not interested in the thread's topic, it's probably better to not post here.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Me too, and then I tried to think about the last time I kissed a person of the same sex (probably my dad a long time ago).

Still, I'd happily participate with my partner, but she's halfway across the country now :(

I gotta ask, why tax day?

22. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

To stick to the tax man (so to speak :eek:) that won't let a gay couple file jointly...

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Now the thread has been moved. :( Just hope I wasn't the cause.

Forgot the number, maybe over 300, laws that protect Straight couples in federal and state benefits and protections.

24. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I'm all for peaceful demonstrations AND EQUAL rights. I don't like the term "gay rights" because it implies that rights for gays are somehow severable or separate from others' fundamental rights. They should just be "rights."

Anyways, I'm not a fan of hetero-PDA and I'll likely just think, "there's two dudes kissing." or "there's two women kissing." I would be more alerted if it were three women kissing." But I can't speak for the bigots.

Question for the gays: What can someone like me do to help the cause, in general, not particularly on this day (because I don't like to kiss my girlfriend in public much, its weird to me...and she is beautiful... and I HATE when couples make out in public, I think I'd rather see public sex--NOW THATS A DEMONSTRATION!!!!

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Felt these two posts had similar thoughts.

The issue is that PDA's are relative. A kiss-in at Starbucks might be over the top for some. But PDA's are not limited to kissing. It can be simply holding hands while walking down the mall. Or maybe putting an arm around your partner at a movie or concert. I think the kiss thing has come up since it is a natural expression between two people that care for each other. It does not have to mean deep french kissing - hate that myself among Straight couples in public as well. But I know I enjoy a kiss on the lips - not the European style of a kiss on each cheek.

For Randman, it is about showing that we are a part of the community as a whole. For too long in the GLBT community have held back showing even simple gestures between our partners in public - in order not to offend. The idea as I see it behind this kiss-in is to show the Straight community as a whole - that we are part of the fabric of the community. In major cities the kiss-in will have little effect. But in smaller cities, it can show some that couple of guys or gals that share a house together as "roomies" are more than that.

For benlee, I would suggest that you keep in touch with ALL your elected officials and let them know that you support equal treatment under local, state, and federal laws for ALL couples.

To give an example from my own life; I have started to see this guy over the past month or so. Doing dinners, a movie, and a concert. At dinners we have not felt comfortable in even holding hands across the table - just to save ourselves from comments from others - unless we were far from others. At the movie we felt compelled to hide holding hands under one of our coats draped of our laps. Though other Straight couples did that openly, or hugged each or even leaned in on each other at certain points during the movie. Last weekend we did a concert for the Gay Mens Chorus DC. It was nice to be able to lean on each other during certain songs. Equally nice to steal a light kiss during one song that seemed to have struck a cord with us - we just looked at each at the same time and gave each other a light peck on the lips. Much of the concert we sat there like many other couples (both Straight and GLBT).

Maybe a bad example (and some might think stereotypical LOL) would have been with our seeing Momma Mia! together. We both love the show, and Abba. :) (I here the jokes coming! :) ) But other than being asked to get a room for going too far in PDA... why can't we show any other PDA that a Straight couple would at the same event?

For me and the new man in my life; we will have to wait and see what we will do on 4/15. We are both old fashioned enough for each other that simple gestures right now like buying tickets or dinner are enough for a hug and/or a light kiss. Sort of Dating 101 for us here. :)