Same-Sex Kissing Common In UK Male Students

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mord, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

2. Xeperu macrumors 6502

While I have no problem with (homo)sexuality in private, the first man trying to snog me would think twice about doing so again.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Are you that bad a kisser?

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Lots of cultures have same sex kissing. The Italians and a lot of Middle Eastern cultures don't see it relating to being gay at all.

That being said, I wouldn't want things to progress to the level of the ongoing SNL sketch where families start frenching each other and the friends you bring over. LOL

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

Thinly veiled threats of violence!

Nice.

And of course this report totally means that men are just kissing men they don't know just out of the blue.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Right, because the homos run around the city grabbing random guys and kissing them :rolleyes:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I spent 2002-2009 either as a student or a graduate surrounded by students. Never saw it myself. None of my straight male friends from, well, anywhere have kissed another guy. I'm curious to see where these interviews were done.

Maybe it's a very modern thing?

8. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I think it is, basically I see it as something that's drastically changed in the last 3-4 years. I think the point is more that homophobia has just vanished, rather than men kissing men, it's not something one sees every day out in the open.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thought so. Back in my student days I had a few openly gay friends who were never persecuted or had any problems.

10. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

It seems these days that no one is closeted, that's not to say they rub it in anyone's face it's just a non-issue.

It's interesting to see the same level of acceptance bleed over to transgender students too, in my department (400 undergrads or so) there are 5 openly transgender people that I know of and dozens more from other departments that I've met through LGBT events. While university life isn't transphobia free it's widely acknowledged to be unacceptable, limited to the odd person being a little insensitive or naive rather than malicious.

I really like the direction our culture is moving in, it really gives me hope for the future.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Probably is. I've seen it many times and occasionally done it myself. I thought it was just the norm. :confused:

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

People change, times advanced... good for those brave enough.

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I believe we covered this topic before. I'm having a deja-vu reading this article.

14. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

Ah ****, I read this elsewhere presented like it was new, failed to note the date.

Sorry about that.

15. Andeavor macrumors 6502

No problem, it's always interesting to see some fresh view points. :)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have a feeling you may have even contributed to the earlier thread. :)

17. citizenzen Suspended

I'd simply extend an arm and say that I'm not into that.

That should be enough to make him think twice before doing it again.

What did you have in mind? :confused:

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

As a mother and a fireman I find the sight of anyone kissing in a lascivious manner in public disgusting and tacky, regardless of their sexuality.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There is always an appropriate time and place for everything, but nothing in the article indicated that this was happening in public.

Moreover, the article indicated that the kisses were becoming more akin to a fist bump, not a romantic gesture.

20. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I wasn't referring to the article, just same-sex kissing in general. Doesn't bother me per se; just seeing kissing in public that isn't akin to a bro-fist (or fist bump as you so charmingly put it) is nauseating.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Does this apply to opposite-sex kisses too?

What exactly is nauseating? Don't get me wrong, I don't care for over-the-top PDAs, but they don't really bug me either. I can't really identify anything "disgusting" about them. In the end I can always look away if I don't like the view.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Fox news will have a blast with this one when the trend gets to the US. I wanna see Beck and O'Reilly kiss!! :D

23. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Yeah, I said that in the previous post I think... Well, I didn't explicitly condemn same-sex kissing.

What's nauseating is the confrontational nature of people throwing it in your face. Often times they make noises too as they kiss and that's the real killer; it's as bad as listening to someone chew with their mouth open. It's not the people who are disgusting but the behaviour and the myriad motivations that are driving that behaviour (it could be simple attention-whoring or some perverse voyeurism, to anything in between)

Fortunately, that's rare.

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Eh? So what, me and my cousins kiss as greetings (on the cheeks).

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This thread isn't referring to people kissing on the cheeks.