Same Sex Marrage Bill passes in UK

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by roadbloc, Jul 16, 2013.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23338279

Finally!

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And finally some civil rights news that makes sense. Congrats on the marriage equality UK.

3. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Congrats to all those waiting for this historic moment!

4. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Ole chaps on the other side of the pond have some stuff to celebrate now!

For sure.

5. Zaap macrumors 6502

Interesting. I already thought this was the case in the UK. Nicely done.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We already had civil partnerships which granted the same rights as marriage (except for a couple of trivial differences - mainly to do with titles like Lord) - this is just a name change.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Awesome news! Now lets hope the U.S. decides to join the civilized world...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Finally we can move on to legalising polygamy and marrtage between species. Baby steps, I suppose.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't quite understand the ban on allowing the Church of England and Wales from opting in. Were religious groups afraid that future pastors will be open minded enough to do so?

Still, I congratulate the folk on the other side of the pond for this momentous step forward.

10. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

/sarcasm?

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

And yet the world keeps spinning much to the dismay of the bigots.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Cool news.

As I read this, I couldn't help but wonder how the (probably very few) US religious fundies deal with same sex couples while visiting other countries. Or, for that matter, US states where it is legal. Are they passing out from shock in the street? Making scenes as though they had just witnessed the burning of bibles, or? Does anyone have any anecdotes they'd like to share?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You Brits are as backwards as us Yanks.

Welcome to the party pal.

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Uhm...

Still waiting on God's wrath to strike Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, and now the United Kingdom...

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Hey Shane, what's up, you seem to have forgotten New Zealand. Perhaps that's because NZ is already godzone.

KGB:cool:

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good. People should be able to choose who they want to marry...one person has no more right to tell someone else who they can't marry than they do what color socks they can't wear. Hopefully more places do the same.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wish the conservatives I knew understood this concept. They bitch about the non-existant bill to "Take their guns!" and the second amendment but have no trouble tramping all over the first amendment.

They also bitch about people tramping all over their rights to religion but have no problem tramping on others rights to marry.

A smart crowd they are...:rolleyes:

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's just refreshing to see any news from the UK that doesn't involve things going in or coming out of Kate Middleton's vagina. Even better that it's good news!

19. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Is it bad that I had to google who Kate Middleton is? :eek:

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You're right :p

That's because they're all about striking fear (i.e. false claims intended to scare people) for political gain.

No. I got her mixed up with Kate Upton.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

And only conservatives do this? :rolleyes:

Such broad statements always puzzle me...why is it when someone says something like this, 30 people aren't yelling "SOURCE?" Is this a socially-acceptable stereotype?

I am on the conservative side...and I absolutely support gun rights regardless of its unpopularity on this forum or elsewhere. I don't think trampling any Constitutional Rights are acceptable, and that includes equality. A component of that is marriage equality. It's as fundamental as any other freedom as far as I am concerned, and I don't think one person has any right whatsoever to pass judgment on who someone else wants to spend the rest of their life with. That's a core component of "the pursuit of happiness"...how can someone achieve happiness of they are legally denied rights that others have?

I'd like to see conservatives back off of social regulation. A core component of conservatism is autonomy and self-governance...something like Defense of Marriage goes against that in every legal, ethical, and moral sense. Less government means less, not more when it fulfills personal biases. If we are all made equal, then we need to be equal, at least in a legal stance. What people do in regards to religion is up to them, and it should be.

22. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Yes, now go pay Elton John some royalties.

23. APlotdevice, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You know it doesn't sound like you're actually a conservative, but rather one of the few remaining "moderate" Republicans. Conservatism by definition is holding to traditional values and being reluctant to see things change. It is a term that... mostly because of the Southern Strategy... has become synonymous with the modern GOP, yet is as far as you can get from the ideals of the party's most cherished member, Abraham Lincoln.

24. MegamanX macrumors regular

Hate to tell you this but you are now a RINO. That part of the GOP is gone and dead.
    Voting for the GOP now days means you want to block all the social issues and regulation. People like you need to say FU to the GOP and level them with only their bat **** crazy crew or push to have the bat **** crazies kicked out and form a third party. Right now the GOP is pretty much bat **** crazy.

25. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I somehow managed to miss this on the news yesterday. Thats great news tho!