Same-Sex Marriage bill introduced in D.C.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 6, 2009.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Opening the same can of worms from before (read: Prop. 8), but in this case, DC already recognizes marriages from elsewhere. This time, the bill is so they can perform them themselves. One twist: Congress gets to review the bill before it takes effect.

Read, and discuss (and I reckon there will be plenty of the latter).

STORY

BL.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, don't let people marry who they want. It's definitely worth your time to fight that.

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I like the sound of the capital allowing same sex marriage.

4. No1451 macrumors 6502

Of course, fighting against human rights is a great thing:eek:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Equal marriage rights are going to become reality. These fools can fight it all they want. They're going to lose.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The only thing is its going to take time, unfortunatly. Only 5 posts in this thread...:(

Given that this will debated in DC however, I fully expect this to finally stir up the debate on a national level, seeing as the press is going to LOVE sinking their teeth into this one. Can't wait to see what happens (and to be supremely disappointed by some of our politicians) and hopefully the right thing will be done.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it's going to happen, it has to happen in this administration. We won't get another chance for a very long time.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sad, but completely true.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I haven't really heard a lot of argument against gay marriage on these boards so I assume everyone doesn't mind it (or isn't going to say anything about it).

Personally I don't see what the religious people are trying to protect here. Presently marriage is that old shambled building that is half blown over, luckily you get some tax incentives and lower insurance rates out of it or it wouldn't be worth a ****.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And I still may have to retire to Canada. I have no intentions of spending my golden years in a place that considers me a second class citizen. Twenty years ago, I thought this fight would be over by now. Ya know, now that "my generation" has taken over. Here I am in my forties feeling like not much has changed, even though I know a lot has. We have made great strides in some ways, but stood still, if not gone backward in others.

11. No1451 macrumors 6502

Do it! You won't have any regrets, we've got moose, hockey and snow, though we do have our fair share of people who will still hate you.

I really wish that I could sit down and get someone to explain to me WHY they oppose gay marriage as marriage is in no way linked to Christianity the way they seem to think it is.

12. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Dont go lumping us all into this. I have spoken out quite a bit about this and am whole heartedly against this.

I will gladly give up any "tax incentives or lower insurance rates" if that meant we would keep marriage defined as is. Its not about the benefits of marriage, its about the meaning of marriage. Which most people have no clue about the meaning of marriage(thus the high divorce rate).

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's pretty pathetic that you would give up tax and insurance breaks to continue imposing your hate and bigotry on a minority.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do tell the meaning of marriage so we can all be enlightened.

15. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

All I hear is yada yada yada, blah blah blah....you type but you never actually say anything...

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I said plenty, you just don't want to read it because you don't want to hear someone point out that you are a bigot. Don't worry, if I was a bigot, I'd be ashamed of it and not want anyone to mention it either.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can assure you, we know what marriage means. It's you who have twisted it into something ugly to use against and deny others. You use it as a weapon, and it's disgusting.

18. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Which is why the state thats had marriage available to gay couples the longest has the lowest divorce rate in the nation, right?

http://www.divorcereform.org/94staterates.html

and: http://www.alternet.org/blogs/polit...orce_rate_and_western_civilization_is_intact/

Provisional data from 2008 indicates that the Massachusetts divorce rate has dropped from 2.3 per thousand in 2007 down to about 2.0 per thousand for 2008. What does that mean ? To get a sense of perspective consider that the last time the US national divorce rate was 2.0 per thousand (people) was 1940. You read that correctly. The Massachusetts divorce rate is now at about where the US divorce rate was the year before the United States entered World War Two.

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Lee do you agree that government should get out of the definition of marriage completely? I believe it's a violation of church and state. All marriages should be declared as Civil Unions with the same rights marriages have now and "marriages" no longer have special recognition by the "state". This would open up other religions and courthouses to perform civil marriages on any two human beings, regardless of their sexual orientation.

20. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im not Lee, but this is already the case. The state issues a Civil Marriage certificate - note the word Civil. The state will not recognize any marriage contract that is not a Civil Marriage (meaning the government will not recognize any purely religious contracts).

21. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Marriage is between a Man, A Woman, and God. ALways have has been, always will be. People have distorted this view the further they have gotten away from God. Its a combining of two people in a spiritual way. One that homosexuals nor divorced people will have ever experienced. Marriage is not about Sex, Money, Property or any other so called "rights". It is about a unity of the couple with God Himself.

I love how you resort to name calling. And you call me the bigot? I think you need a review of what the word means. Im sure you have a dictionary somewhere. Come back after you review the word.

Sorry Lee, your wrong. Im not the one trying to pervert it into something twisted and ugly. Im not the one who is trying to take thousands of years of tradition and spit all over it and call it bigotry. It is your kind that is doing this.

You know, Id be very interested in a study regarding religious beliefs/tendencies for the same time period. I suspect that as the divorce rates climbed, religious beliefs/tendencies went down for the same time period. Thus would prove my point that people dont know the reason why they get married.

Let the Right Wing Nut Job bashing begin....please dont hold back! You wont hurt my feelings. You will show your true colors though.

22. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

The nice thing is, this bill does NOT propose making it mandatory that one marries a member of the same sex.

You would still have the option of marrying someone of the opposite gender. So I guess I don't see why the fuss over the bill. :confused:

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are you saying that marriage only only exists in monotheistic cultures? Does it exist under Islam and Judaism? Are all those married people in non-monotheistic cultures not really married because god wasn't invited to their wedding?

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What about before man invented God? Was it then a marriage between a man, a woman, and the sun (or pick whatever deity you want that was worshiped before God was made)?

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Isn't this polygamy?