Same sex marriage to become legal in Germany

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, Jun 30, 2017.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Way to go Deutschland! Better late than never. And it was a surprisingly quick process too. Unfortunately, Merkel voted no. What a shame.

Link

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

why would Merkel vote no? surprised it's not legal in all of Europe.

3. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Because Jesus.

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

in Europe? :rolleyes:

5. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah, apparently that's a "thing" over there too. Thankfully not to the same degree as us.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Way to go Germany.
    Surprised the whole EU doesn't already recognize same sex marriage.

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I wouldn't count on that, as her reason. She's from the former DDR and is likely an atheist from way back.

8. NightGeometry macrumors regular

She's the daughter of a protestant pastor, she is a a reasonably devout protestant christian, she is the leader of a christian democratic party in an actually quite conservative country. It's nto that surprising she voted no, is it?

(She is also a canny politician, one may suppose she was confident the vote would pass, and could thus vote no with little risk to the vote itself, but with the hop it would cement her power as leader of said conservative christian party.)

Or maybe she just doesn't agree with same sex marriage.

9. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

She's well known to be a devout Christian.

10. bandrews macrumors 6502a

She’s leader of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany!

But that aside -WHOOP! :cool:

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

left owned fake news like you to think europe is more "progressive" or advanced or whatever. Just more fake news lies. ;)

12. statik13 macrumors regular

..and the right wing propaganda machine likes to yell "fake news" without checking facts :p

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Germans are fairly conservative. People in the state of Bavaria a bit more conservative. Austrians are more conservative than both. They've been pushing aside extra rights for quite a long time now.

You seem surprised. She's always stated she's a Christian and conservative. Though some here in America would peg her as an ultra liberal. LOL CDU members are always behind the times. Her opinions have hardly changed since she began politics.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Congratulations Germany!!!

And Angela? Welcome to the modern world. I'm sure you'll grow used to it.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I honestly thought all of Europe had legalized it a long time ago. But I guess it shouldn't be surprising since it wasn't that long ago that Europe was just as conservative as the US if not more so.

16. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You mean like the 1940's?

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure they were up until the 50's or 60's at least.

18. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Really? That's interesting. I honestly don't know much about European history after the war but I could believe it.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wait. It wasn't?

I'm surprised Germany is so late to the game, but good for them for coming around.

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

There has been some kind of legal binding possible for some years, so the push for full marriage was not as strong as in countries with no such rights.

The real question is, did Merkel plan this or was she just unprepared when the she was asked in that interview.

Her answer was that it was up to every MP and not bound to a coalition rule at which point it was 100% clear that it would get a vast majority.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I assume she went for it because it's election year and she actually has viable challengers.

23. KALLT macrumors 601

It had been discussed with senior leaders of her party. This is actually typical for Merkel; she knows that this will become an election issue after every plausible coalition partner pledged to make progress on this matter a condition for future coalitions. The judiciary has been tightening the noose anyway – sooner rather than later, the Constitutional Court would have made the decision for them.

Polls suggested that a majority of voters has been supportive of same-sex marriage for years. It was solely due to the hegemony of the Christian Democrats that no progress was made in parliament. This week’s bill was lying on the shelf for quite some time and likely would have never reached the plenary stage at all.

Even in the Netherlands, same-sex marriage only happened when the Christians were, for the first time in their history, not in the coalition.

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh good. Phew. Everything is fine now. All of Europes problems are now solved. Excellent.

25. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You mean they aren't? And I thought that was the whole intention! Boy was I wrong. :rolleyes: