Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Sam's Club Now Carrying iPads at Slight Discounts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, warehouse club chain Sam's Club has begun following through on last month's announcement that it would begin carrying the iPhone and iPad, with several models of the iPad beginning to appear on store shelves.

The iPad is being offered at a slight discount, with Wi-Fi models checking in at $12 under Apple's standard pricing and Wi-Fi + 3G models coming in at a $20 discount.

Sam's Club has also posted a product page for the iPad showing which of its club locations are currently offering the device for sale. The iPad is not available for order through the Sam's Club website and must be purchased in-store.

Article Link: Sam's Club Now Carrying iPads at Slight Discounts

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
This should be great for Christmas. Be interesting to see Apple's sales numbers for the xmas holiday.

Comment

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice

I was actually thinking about re-joining my local Sams club but often struggle with the perception of value. Often there is none other than the huge box sizes.

Of course with the Democratics and their coming hyper inflation buying big boxes might make sense again.

In any event this highlights how Apple sees iPad as more of an appliance than a computer. It also indicates that production must be meeting demand.

Comment

SteveJobsJr

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

This sucks I work at Costco and I know for a fact that because Apple gave a exclusive deal to SAMs Costco got mad and when supplies of ALL Apple products run out at Costco there will be NO more! No iPods or iTunes gift cards of any kind. This is Costco's way of playing hard ball with Apple. Each Costco building sold about $200k of Apple products per month!!! That WILL affect Apple! After all Apple should know that Costco will offer FAR better service for iPad sales than Sams! Eventually Apple WILL come around and Costco will begin to sell Apple products again

Comment

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

This sucks I work at Costco and I know for a fact that because Apple gave a exclusive deal to SAMs Costco got mad and when supplies of ALL Apple products run out at Costco there will be NO more! No iPods or iTunes gift cards of any kind. This is Costco's way of playing hard ball with Apple. Each Costco building sold about $200k of Apple products per month!!! That WILL affect Apple! After all Apple should know that Costco will offer FAR better service for iPad sales than Sams! Eventually Apple WILL come around and Costco will begin to sell Apple products again

What kind of "exclusive deal"? And BTW, wouldn't that loss of $200k a month have also have a substantial negative impact for Costco then for Apple? If that number is true we are talking about $100 000 000 per month in declined sales.

Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
What kind of "exclusive deal"? And BTW, wouldn't that loss of $200k a month have also have a substantial negative impact for Costco then for Apple? If that number is true we are talking about $100 000 000 per month in declined sales.
IIRC it wasn't an exclusive deal it was just that, for whatever reason, Apple shipped iPads to Sam's Club, Walmart and Target but not to Costco. The impact to Costco's bottom line really depends on the profit margins they were making on the iPods and how much extra foot traffic they were brining in.

Lethal

Comment

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Of course with the Democratics and their coming hyper inflation buying big boxes might make sense again.

Thanks for injecting politics where it doesn't belong. Frankly, you shouldn't be voting if you don't even know that it's Democrats.

The impact to Costco's bottom line really depends on the profit margins they were making on the iPods and how much extra foot traffic they were brining in.

There is no direct impact on their bottom line because, unlike Sam's Club, Costco doesn't make a dime on any of the products they sell, only the membership fees. Of course there is indirect negative impact if the sole reason you would become a member was to buy an iPad, but I'm willing to bet the number of people who would do that is negligible.

Comment

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Thanks for injecting politics where it doesn't belong. Frankly, you shouldn't be voting if you don't even know that it's Democrats.

There is no direct impact on their bottom line because, unlike Sam's Club, Costco doesn't make a dime on any of the products they sell, only the membership fees. Of course there is indirect negative impact if the sole reason you would become a member was to buy an iPad, but I'm willing to bet the number of people who would do that is negligible.

That is the most absurd insane thing I've heard in quite a while.Care to prove me wrong?

Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Guys....this is like his first post and he knows for "fact". Come on partner show us some facts or move along.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

SteveJobsJr said:

Right because people will not just go to one of the 100 other places sell Apple hardware. It will not effect them, only Costco...

Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That is not true. Costco has very thin profit margins on what it sells but the margins on there.

Right because people will not just go to one of the 100 other places sell Apple hardware. It will not effect them, only Costco...
A couple of years ago Costco stopped selling Coke products for about a month as contract negotiations between the two hit an impasse. Being a massive retailer in the US means you have leverage (I think Costco is #3). I doubt that will sway Apple though as their popularity currently has them pretty much printing money.

Lethal

Comment

neilk

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Unless you live New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, you are probably better off buying it online from a vendor where sales tax isn't charged.

Of course, then you are responsible for paying the use tax. ;)

Comment

3runjosh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
wonder if anyone told sam that the ipad2 is not for a few more months yet haha poor sam

Comment

3runjosh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
That is not true. Costco has very thin profit margins on what it sells but the margins on there.

A couple of years ago Costco stopped selling Coke products for about a month as contract negotiations between the two hit an impasse. Being a massive retailer in the US means you have leverage (I think Costco is #3). I doubt that will sway Apple though as their popularity currently has them pretty much printing money.

Lethal
^ this very much. No one is gonna sway Apple incase anyone didn't notice. Apple sways everyone else :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.