Samsung 830 on a late 2011 MBP, reboots take > 1 min

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mlsusa, Apr 19, 2013.

1. mlsusa macrumors regular

I put a 512gb Samsung 830 SSD in a MacBook Pro 8,2 (late 2011). Everything seems fine except it takes more than a minute to reboot. Applications open right away and Blackmagic Speed Test reports reads and writes in the mid-300s. But when I reboot it spins in the grey screen for close to half a minute before the machine powers down then restarts. After the restart it spends another half minute in the grey login screen before it opens into the desktop. At which point it flies.

Any ideas what it could be? What I can check?

I should note the SSD was in an iMac 7,1 (mid 2007) running ML 10.8.3 before it was moved to the laptop. I didn't wipe the drive, just created a new account for the wife and deleted mine. Not sure if any of that means anything.

When it was in the iMac, reboots took about 20 seconds and Blackmagic reported reads and writes in the low- to mid-200s.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How long does it take to start up from shut down?

3. mlsusa thread starter macrumors regular

30-40 seconds to complete start up from when the machine's powered off.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure the drive is selected in the Startup pref pane. Also, startup it up in verbose mode to see if something is causing a slow down.

5. mlsusa thread starter macrumors regular

Started it in verbose mode but nothing showed in the opening grey screen for about 30 seconds, then the log statements started flying by but in less than 2-3 seconds they were done and I was in the desktop. So didn't see anything taking a lot of time during the very brief verbose mode.

When you say "the drive is selected in the Startup pref pane" do you mean the SSD is the one selected as the Startup Disk?

Thanks.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, click on the drive to set it as the default startup drive.

7. mlsusa thread starter macrumors regular

It's the only drive the MBP's hooked up to so selecting isn't enabled. It's already the default startup drive.

Is there anything else I could look into?

Thanks.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It may not be the default drive. Your Macbook could be looking for its old hard drive to boot from. Then when it doesn't detect it after a few seconds, it looks for another bootable source, finds the SSD, and boots from it.

9. mlsusa thread starter macrumors regular

You called it! I mistakenly thought not being able to select the drive was because there was only one available. Turns out it was because I had the settings locked. D'oh!

After selecting the drive as the startup disk, a full reboot now takes 20-25 seconds.

Thanks for your help. Problem solved.