Samsung 830 SSD + Momentus XT in mid-2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rob21, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Rob21 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've searched throughout the forum but I haven't been able to fix my problem.

I have a 2009 13" MacBook Pro and recently bought the Samsung 830 128GB SSD off of New Egg. I put the SSD in place of my Momentus XT 500GB and moved my HDD to the Optibay.

My problem now is that I'm getting incredibly slow speeds with my HDD (it will supposedly take 20 hours to copy 2.61GB from my SSD to my HDD).

Also, whenever I open up Disk Utility, it takes about 5 minutes for it to finish reading whatever drives I have.

2. simsaladimbamba

Open System Profiler (System Report on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and later), go to Hardware > Serial ATA and report back, what it says after Negotiated Speed for the HDD.
    Btw, I also have a 2009 MBP and it has two S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) ports, thus I could put my SSD (Vertex 3) into the Optibay adapter and leave the HDD in its HDD bay, securing the Sudden Motion Sensor working properly.

You can use the following applications to benchmark the speed of your HDD:

3. Rob21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

4. simsaladimbamba

That is okay. What about the disk benchmarks?

5. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Did you do benchmarks with black magic disk speed test? before and after swapping the disks?

On my late 2008 MBP, my Momentus XT 500GB in the optibay gives me 80-90MB/s in read and write, and with my Samsung 830 64GB, I have ~160MB/s write and ~240MB/s read. Not that bad :).

6. Rob21 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I did not. I followed the instructions on how to install a SSD and thought I would be able to do so without a hitch.

I'm still having problems even getting the HDD to mount. When I use the HDD in the normal bay, it runs fine as does my SSD in the optibay. It's when I use the HDD in the optibay that I have problems but I've read that using the SSD in the optibay causes problems with sleep mode and hibernation so I decided to put the HDD in the optibay.

7. applesoundgear macrumors member

I put the same setup in my 2012 Macbook Pro 13 inch and had similar issues. The HDD in the optical bay was extremely slow. I also couldn't copy/paste anything in or out of the drive and it gave me a bunch of errors. The XT just won't work in that bay on a 13 inch. I put it my stock 5400rpm Hitachi 500gig and it runs great. In reality, I don't need super speed for opening up a lot of my files, music, or videos so 5400 is fine. The 7200 made too much noise in the optical bay.