Samsung Ad: Neighbors Surprise Man by Using Sign Language; Hearts Melt

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Mar 10, 2015.

1. bradl, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Say what you want about Samsung, and no lie about it: this is a blatant ad about their corporation and their wares, but this is very well done, and good on them doing so.

WARNING: Man tears involved; grab some tissue, and don't say I didn't warn you. :D

Enjoy.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...rprise-man-by-using-sign-language-hearts-melt

BRB.. something in my eye causing my contacts to move...

BL.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

It is a rare example of an ad which is genuinely 'feel-good', and which leaves a warm glow.

Thanks for posting this.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Brilliant! Nice to see Samsung do something like this for a change. Now where did I put that damn Kleenex.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This is probably the first (and only) good Samsung ad I've seen.

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    LOVE that advert, LOVE it!!!!!! Very, very cool.........

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Very sweet, but am I the only one who is bothered by Samsung's cheap manipulation of our emotions for the sake of an advertisement?

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

In their defense, we can't say that Apple didn't do the same thing with some of their ads with Facetime, or creating the that song for the grandparents..

We can't complain about their use of it while letting Apple's use slide; otherwise we have that sense of hypocrisy and a double-standard.

BL.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh, I agree. I don't give Apple a pass either!

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I liked Apple's advert much better because it was more realistic, showing people actually using Sign while on FaceTime -- which is a perfect use for that feature!

14. eko91 macrumors regular

wahhh!!

This commercial is amazing!! Defn a tear jerker!! That guy knew something was odd!! hahah!! Thanks for showing us this commercial!

15. 69Mustang, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Damn Brad

That was a damn fine ad. Coincidentally, I dropped a 10lb weight on my foot while watching this, so the couple of tears were from my pain and definitely not from this ad. My wife watched over my shoulder. She teared up from the ad.

This was a nice respite from that crap show tattoo thread.

Thanks.

16. steve123 macrumors regular

17. Norbs12 macrumors regular

Norbs12

18. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Really like it. And hey, the point is that they launched a special "visual" call centre for hearing impaired - that's a great idea, actually.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

20. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

21. klover macrumors 6502a

Beautifully done, great job Sammy. The concept of visual assistance resource is excellent. Samsung could really take a lead in assistance devices and services.

22. THANKS-SHILLS macrumors newbie

Now the shills have had their say

Good on them for doing what?

Did you notice the "let me offer you an Apple" - I guarantee the ad stemmed from "someone should offer someone an apple (fruit) but you should then forget about it". You think I am lying? Go read your local college's course prospectuses and syllabi and see for yourself.

Hearing impaired video call centers - is this for people who can't read? Why? Because they had AUDIO call centers before? No they didn't actually, they had text support and just calls for updating status / helplines.

So, it solves no problem, causes a real problem, so unless you do actually have a bus-stop sized screen in portrait mode, you're a bit ****ed trying to use this. What will you use it from? Your phone? That you're carrying?

Yeah. Bull. ****.

We've launched it at samsungsyuamamaallahuakbarhurhauylala.com - oh yeah, this is a real service that they fully intend to really solve problems with.

1. It doesn't solve anything - and hearing people were easily able to use text, as were blind, as were hearing and sighted people in fact. I can't hear these words, in fact I have noise cancellation headphones on and listening to music - so I am deaf right now, and I find it easy to function. Look at me!
    1. The entire ad was build around the seed of giving someone an Apple (watch some videos on how easily manipulated humans are, you can make them WALK SLOWER by showing them pictures of old people)
    1. That said, I, unlike most of you, have been learning sign language and campaigning for children to be taught sign language, NOT because of the deaf community but because of the entire community, it increases our brain dexterity. So this was a nice skit, but an atrocious ad. And the skit itself was fairly badly done, but that might have been editing, and the group of people jazz handing him at the end, he's probably scared out of his mind.

You know that if you taught every child to juggle, there would be 17,000 fewer deaths per year from road accidents? Think about it.

23. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Bloody hell.

Can't someone actually not try to dissect a deed done on good gesture and see the humanity in it, instead of trying to pick apart every single thing and belittle it?

Really... :rolleyes:

I've taught both my son and daughter ASL, so they already have more than one language to communicate with. This, given the fact that my wife is blind, we have a service animal (read: guide dog), so they have known since birth how to live with someone with a disability, because their mother has one herself.

So please: get off your high horse.

BL.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Newbie. 1 post.

Obvious troll is obvious.

25. RenoG macrumors 65816

This was a great commercial, and yes this did yank at my man tears. I always feel that companies waste ad dollars when they use it to throw shots at its competitors. No one cares since it does nothing for consumers or would be consumers.