Samsung Announces Thinner than iPad 2 Samsung 8.9 and 10.1 Inch Tablets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raptorstv, Mar 27, 2011.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

So....do u actually think we haven't heard about this 4 days ago and that there arent any threads devoted to this very same topic?

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Might want to do some checking on this. Samsung appears to be "stretching the truth" on some of their specs.

But good on ya if you buy one. Remember, you don't want the 7" Tab with Froyo, or the possibly thicker 10.1" Tab with either 2.3 or 3.0 and the potentially Cheesewiz GUI. You want the "maybe" thinner than an iPad, could have Breezy-weezy GUI, might have working Flash, possibly upgradable OS - 8.9 or 10.1 Tabs. No one knows for sure, cause they don't exist yet.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

LOL. Guess he's just excited.:)

To the OP. Goes on. Buy it. Also lets Samsung know you buy it so next time they'll have a video of real user experience for a change. LOL.

5. klover macrumors 6502a

Bear in mind that, in this case, thinner means 0.01".

6. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but a company that does it's best to copy anothers products and completely redesigns it's tablet in two weeks to compete with the iPad 2 is not what I'm looking for. And the thing with the tab being thinner then the iPad 2... Give me a break!!!!! Even if the thing is 8.6mm who the hell is going to care about .2mm!!!!

7. MasonH macrumors member

More threads the merrier I guess... I like any gadget but I'd hold off the excitement until we see one that actually *turns on* first ;-)

In fact Endgadget calling that a "hands on" article was a bit of a misnomer indeed.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

No, in this case, thinner actually means thicker. Those Tabs were actually thicker than the iPad. When the CEO of Samsung was asked about this, he was dumbfounded. Apparently, they didn't expect anyone to actually verify the thickness of their non-functioning models.

Now, every Samsung employee working on this project is probably being told that if they don't get the inner workings to fit in an 8.6mm shell, they'll be fired. I'm willing to bet they are gonna have a hell of a time getting a 5 and 3 megapixel camera to fit. Can't wait to see the end result.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In other breaking news, Microsoft is developing an iPod killer to be dubbed "Zune".

10. foodle macrumors 6502

So you're thinking of returning a working piece of hardware that's in your hands based on a press release about vaporware? Ok ...

11. SFOT macrumors newbie

12. yodaxl7, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

One of the bloggers got to see the proposed thinner devices and found to be thicker and non-functional. Perhaps, by launch in June, they can squeeze it tight. I would wait for reviews and play at store. Don't see any point to look beyond ipad2 since it works great. Sure, there are a small percentage of defective units which apple replace.

13. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Go for it. Of course the new thin one doesn't exist except as a shell.

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The key word in that sentence is "Announces".

Let's see if they actually Ship it!

15. madhatter61 macrumors member

http://technologizer.com/tag/apple-ipad/

Read thru their presentation ... it is believed to be completely phony.
    You would switch from the best Tablet on the market for vaporware.
    Wow, read Anandtech review of iPad2, look at what the second generator release cause. Back to the drawing boards, that's all.

Where's their apps, where's their infrastructure. If you buy on paper specs I can't help you. Vaporware specs at that. Wow.

16. vistadude macrumors 65816

It does look very slick and having the widgets makes a big difference.

The main thing I would consider is the fact that most of the time on a tablet, I would be in the web browser/widgets, ebook reader, or instant messaging. It's a content consuming device, and not much of a content creation device. So in that sense, the ipad is not any better than the samsung tab. On top of that, if you already have an iphone, the samsung tab would offer a lot more in terms of a new experience and new apps.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't really want to buy a product from the company that doesn't innovate and just copies.

This tablet won't have high resale values after a year like iPad 2.

This tablet doesn't have apps.

This tablet runs honeycomb and it still needs improvement.

This tablet runs their own skin on top of honeycomb, so it is slowing the tablet down.

So, no. I don't want it. At least give me a tablet that will have a smooth scrolling and rotating function like iPad 2.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Speaking of getting facts correct:

It wasn't the CEO who couldn't explain why a model didn't match the announcement; it was just a spokesperson giving demos.

19. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Don't return your iPad 2 yet. This thing is vaporware right now. Samsung dumped their original 10" tablet design and it doesn't seem that they've truly had enough time to figure out how to deliver everything they've promised. So far all anyone's seen are non-functioning demo units that are knockoffs of Apple designs... And According to Apple Insider isn't even thinner than the iPad 2.

I would normally give a big company like Samsung the benefit of the doubt, but they are acting desperate. I hope they deliver a great tablet that can truly challenge the iPad, but I have a lot of doubt.

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

We?

You mean "I"

The iPad 2 still provides a vastly superior user experience compared to any tablet out there.

21. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i understand that this is a "pro-apple" site...

and the bashing on samsung tablets is expected...

but IMO the device is nice... sleak... ;)

22. ravenas macrumors regular

I'm following the Xoom and Galaxy Tab developments closely. Went for a hands on test of the Xoom and 7" Galaxy Tab this week and gotta say I'm impressed. I like the Google features of Android and the on-screen widgets. I also liked the sturdier builds of these devices compared to Apple's obsession with thinness. It's something in the way the edges are cut. The iPad2s have an almost sharp feel to their edges while these devices had rounded beveled edges. Just felt better in the hand.

It'll be interesting to see how the two devices develop over the summer. Xoom's WiFi version is getting some good user reviews with yesterday's release. Samsung's line-up will be interesting for the range of tablet sizes. The 7" device was a very nice pocketable thing. I can easily see myself slipping it into my purse like my iPod Touch whereas my iPad finds a home in my backpack.

Maybe one of the most interesting things is to compare the two OS'. After playing with Android's widgets and seeing the split screen multitasking apps (read a PDF on the left, compose an e-mail on the right) you begin to feel the limitations of iOS. Like iOS' rows of icons and task switching is an OS written for the smaller form factor of phones. Honeycomb is written for tablets and feels more like a full fledged netbook.

The question being asked and answered this year is "what do consumers want to use a tablet for?" Is it purely a content delivery device where Apple's iOS simplicity and iTunes ecosystem is king... or is it a travel content production AND delivery system (ala netbook) in which Android's Honeycomb has the best customization.

For me, I think I'll be happiest having access to both devices in my arsenal. The Apple ecosystem is fun to delve into but I still have to lug around my netbook for real work.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought this was MacRumors not Samsung rumors?:confused:

Anyway look at the OP's join date. Does anyone really take him seriously?

This is why we need an Alternate OS thread, to keep troll threads mostly in one place.

24. ravenas macrumors regular

What is wrong with comparing tablet devices here? After all whatever the competition brings means that's something else for Apple to match or surpass.

Frankly given all the camera specs coming out for the competition tablets makes me even more disappointed in the meager offerings Apple gave us.

Also makes you wonder why Apple skimped on the cameras. One theory is that that saved something for the iPad3 upgrade. Another is that they just don't see the iPad as a content creation device. The cameras are made for video chatting and stupid human pet tricks (i.e. Photo Booth).

Then there's the issue of tablet size. Steve Jobs is on record saying the ideal size for a tablet is Apple's 10" full screen. No smaller devices need apply. But Samsung will be challenging that presumption with a range of sizes.

Are these not suitable topics of discussion for this forum?