Samsung attended 5S launch to figure out why people wait in line for Apple products.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Kendo, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

Kendo macrumors 68000

2. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I'm sorry, but this "taking influence from Apple" thing is such a myth. If you look at their Galaxy S4 phone, its got a bigger screen, slightly thinner, made out of plastic, uses an OLED screen instead of IPS, 1920 by 1080 resolution, a micro SD slot, wireless AC support, NFC, 2GB of execution RAM, quad core processor, a removable battery and offers multiple options, like wireless charging. Its NOTHING like an iPhone, except that they are both phones with large screens. And both of them stole the concept of the PDA phone from Palm and Microsoft and their various hardware developers, like HTC and - wait for it - Samsung. Samsung had an Windows PocketPC phone long before the iPhone was a gleam in Steve Job's eye.

I currently prefer iPhone, as I like the OS a little better, but the Galaxy S series are fine phones too - and they definitely have Apple beat on specs.

3. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Friday was the first launch day iphone release I have ever attended.

The only reason I did was because I had taken off work that day back in June because I was going to be attending the Philadelphia Eagles' thursday night game, and I figured there was no way I would be worth anything that Friday morning.

I had no idea the 5s was going to be launched on the 20th. And this was the first time I was eligible for a full upgrade in time for the launch.

On top of that, I wanted to experience it. I was 12th in line at the store I went to, and got there around 2:15 AM. It was a great time just shooting the crap with other tech geeks - about everything - not just apple products. I am not in tech as far as my career (finance) so some of the stuff they were talking about was over my head. But it was enjoyable none-the-less. And almost everyone was friendly. There was only one person in the line who was being a B because people kept going back to their cars to charge their phones or warm up a bit. She actually tried to get security involved, but those of us actually in line near the people who were leaving backed them up and basically told her to shut it.

I'd probably do it again. Although I have to say almost everyone I talked to was in line to get a gold phone and our store only had 1 phone total - a 64GB ATT version. There were a lot of pissed off people. I think the least they could have done was tell us that there was only 1 in the store well in advance of the 7:45 queue card distribution.

4. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

5. noobinator macrumors 601

Every company scouts the competition. What's the story here?

edit: EvilQueen was responding as I was and hit submit first! haha

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Wondering why people don't line up like this for their phones.

7. Cutecynic macrumors member

Meh. Every single company on the planet hates on and spies on the competition.

8. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Does Samsung announce release dates ahead if time or just drop the phone when it's ready? I've never paid attention but a friend if mine who is Galaxy only swears they never know in advance when it's coming.

9. AceMason macrumors regular

I'm curious, do people line up for Samsung phones? I've never seen any of my friends post about it on Facebook but I always see tons of posts about Apple launch days.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

They have release dates. I wanted to see the Galaxy S4 and I happen to go on Launch day to an ATT store. 2 dudes were waiting outside to score one.

11. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Well, they do, in the bigger cities. The S4 launch drew some lines. But usually, they don't have to line up. There are a lot of choices in the Android market and a million places you can get one, and it usually easy to get the phone you want without much difficulty.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to say, I never see the newest iPhone going on sale with refurbs for $29 a couple of months after its release.

The GS4 is a nice device, don't get me wrong. And I have a lot of friends who have them and love them. But I just don't see the quality as being in the same stratosphere. The iphone is head and shoulders better. And the integration of the iOS and apple's overall ecosystem is second to none.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not a myth and single example that does not support the statement does not disprove it. Your argument proves that not all Samsung products are influenced but it does not prove that no Samsung products are influenced. One data point never defines or refutes a trend.

As stated above, many companies in different lines of business do this to each other. It's nothing new.

14. APhillyApple macrumors regular

15. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Different strokes. Personally for me, the GS4 quality is "good enough" and the specs are what makes the phone so sweet. I don't take the iPhone out and admire how good it looks or feels in the hand. Its what it can do that I care about. In fact, if I could get the hardware of the GS4, but run iOS, I would buy that in a second. But since the OS is the most important thing about any device, and I prefer iOS, its iPhone for me. But sometimes the GS4 is tempting. But Android? Eh.

----------

A single example? Every Galaxy class phone has out-speced iPhone. And the OP stated that Samsung was copying from iPhone, and I proved that is not the case. Yes, you are right that all companies copy each other. But the OP implied that all Samsung does is copy Apple, as if Apple was the one who started the whole PDA-phone thing, and I proved that is incorrect. In fact, if anything, Samsung was in the game long before Apple.

16. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Samsung announced this morning the gold S4. Probably their conclusion for the long lines at the apple store :)

17. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Oh I agree with the "different strokes" idea.

I have always said that when people ask me which is better. Neither really is better if you think about it. Because everyone's looking for something in particular in a smart phone.

If you are looking for simplicity - iphone
    If you are looking for performance/big screen/novel features - Galaxy

Most people I know, simplicity is at the forefront.

18. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Haven't they copied the Apple Store idea yet? Then they could peddle washing machines, refrigerators and all the other dreary stuff they make in the same store.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Forget samsung, I'd like to figure out why people line up???? I always order online. My grandparents cannot work it out either, they said that this was normal under communism, but what is wrong with these people...... :)

20. carelesswhisper macrumors member

Lol, so true. I remember those days of waiting for AT&T to send me a refurbished phone because my brand new Samsung quit within a few months. Then I got the iPhone and have never looked back. It was the first phone I've had that lasted me my whole 2 year contract (and beyond).

21. billycuth macrumors 6502a

that is such a cheesy move by them. it's almost like they are desperate. and I don't even like the gold!

22. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Back when I got dumb phones, I always got Samsung. They has the best dumb phones available. However, I made a mistake once and picked up a Chocolate. I wanted an mp3 phone. After 3 months I swore I would go back to Samsung. Instead I got a luanch day 3GS. Now I can't imagine going away from Apple.

Samsung can keep their specs, the iPhone may be inferior on paper but in true life blows the GS4 away.

23. AceMason macrumors regular

I don't know about you guys but on every android device I've ever used, the touchscreen wasn't as responsive as Apple devices. That alone makes me not want to even deal with them.

24. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Um, I think he was joking about the gold S4.

25. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis