Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung's Belgian division is having some fun with the hype surrounding Apple's press event and using this occasion to support a worthy cause. According to the division's website, the company will buy a pear for each tweet about an apple. Samsung will distribute the pears free of charge tomorrow at the Brussels-North railway station.

samsung-pear-apple.jpeg
This #aPearForAnApple promotion is one of several campaigns to support Belgian pear farmers who face financial difficulty after Russia recently banned the import of some foods from the EU and the US. Russia is Belgium's main pear purchaser, buying up to $127 million or 40 percent of the total pear harvest each year. Belgians are using the hashtags #ToffePeer and #ShareAPear to encourage citizens to eat more pears and offset the financial consequences of the ban.

It's not surprising to see Samsung use the hype surrounding Apple as part of a marketing stunt. The Korean company is known for its clever marketing blitzes that often focus on the iPad, iPhone or Apple fans. In its recent Galaxy S5 commercial, Samsung mocked the iPhone's integrated battery design and short battery life, calling iPhone owners "wall huggers" who can't stray from their public power outlets.

Thanks to Jef for the tip.

Article Link: Samsung Belgium Donating a Pear for Each Tweet About an Apple

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Samsung buys pears and Apple donates over $70 million to (product) red. :apple:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I get the local issue connection - but it seems a woefully half-baked idea.

Unless they're using the hashtag to distribute links back to a Samsung-controlled website where they control the marketing message?

So everyone who thinks their tweets are helping struggling farmers are actually driving traffic to Samsung's marketing dept? Call me cynical.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm being picky here but a new graphic designer is needed.

Twitter should have a capital.

Why is the hashtag aligned to the right, should be centered over the "a".

Oh and more thing, it's quite difficult to read.

Good job.

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Belgium just needs to do smthn with all those pears, which Russia rejected to import

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I like how the image snagged by MacRumors has a typo: "fuzz" instead of "fuss" (corrected now on the Samsung website).

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Real-time marketing. They must of learned something from Pharrell's hat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.