Samsung captivate and others: worse signal problem than iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Last night I was at the AT&T store looking through all the new phones that are coming out. First I went to the captivate, which had 4 bars as it was resting on the magnetic latch. Almost immediately after I picked it up it went down to 3 bars, and a few seconds after that it was at 1. Then I went to the new Sony phone that's similar to the captivate, and had the same results. What's interesting is that I placed my naked iPhone 4 in the same spot to see if I could make the bars drop and I could only make it go from 4 to 2 bars. This proves to me that the signal issues with the iPhone 4 were blown way out of proportion. This is not meant to bash on the samsung and Sony phones, which are very good phones. The similarity that all these phones have it that they're very thin, and I think as phones get thinner it will be more difficult for companies to provide great antennas in their devices.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I already played with Captivate many times and I never found this issue. It could be service issue in general. Iphone 4 issue is out of proportional because it is still considered as king of smart phones. Iphone 4 had high expectations.

As far as that sony phone, it is a crap. It comes with Android 1.6 or 1.5... I think.
    That already tells me it's crap.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

The fact that any or all phones exhibit a signal problem doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't have an issue. But whatever makes you happy.

4. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

No one said the iPhone 4 didn't have an issue. As the OP mentioned, it is beginning to be widely accepted that the "issue" might have been overblown and over-hyped. With that sentiment, I see many a naked iPhone 4 in NYC where coverage can vary (as well publicized) but is improving.

5. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sounds like a highly comprehensive, scientific test.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I tried out the Captivate for two weeks and didn't have any signal issues with it.

7. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

It's the same thing apple did in their tests... But the whole point is that other phones can drop to one bar while holding them, not just the iPhone 4.