Samsung exploiting child labor to make plastic phone parts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Brandon263, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Brandon263, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014

Brandon263 macrumors 6502

MOD NOTE: Moved to PRSI due to the subject matter.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/1...und-working-at-samsung-supplier-in-china.html

"The three young girls met with a reporter from The New York Times after they were initially identified by the labor rights group China Labor Watch....

"They are 14 and 15 years old, below the legal working age in China.

"They said they were hired as “temporary workers,” given fake ID cards and asked to work the most difficult shift, 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., and then to put in an additional three hours of overtime, six days a week.

"According to the girls, they were part of a 'labor dispatch system' that often funnels child laborers to factories during the summer to help meet a surge in orders that comes just ahead of the fall and winter shopping seasons in the United States and Europe. They were hired as temporary workers, they said, and paid through an agency that has recruitment channels in poor regions.

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Makes you wonder if companies like Apple, Samsung or whomever that has parts made in China can actually know if their supply chain is clean of underage workers? Somehow, I doubt it. But, this sort of thing came out a couple of years ago because Apple had the issue. I think it is making it more difficult to happen in China, but doubt it can be completely stopped. And you do know that there are underage workers in the US? Gotta wonder how many Mexican kids under the age of 16 are working in the fields of California, New Mexico and Texas for 12-13 hours a day in the hot sun?

Internal audit reveals 106 children employed at 11 factories making Apple products in past year
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jan/25/apple-child-labour-supply

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Contractor compaines cut corners all over the globe. Some more extreme than others

4. lazard macrumors 68000

Chinese subcontractor using underage workers...shocking.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Why is this necessarily a bad thing? Of course in the western world, as of the last 40 years or so, we've seen children as vulnerable and have 'protected' them from the world by keeping them busy with school and extra-curricular activities. Definitely not so in Eastern Asia. I'm getting the vibe that these 'kids' are doing this because their families need all of the income that they can get. How is that a bad thing? If they were being forced to work with no pay that'd be an entirely different argument, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I just see a bunch of aspiring young adults willing to take on the responsibility of work at a younger age than most westerners deem acceptable.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    What a misleading thread title. There is nothing written in there about Samsung exploiting child labor.

That article says that Samsung specifically tells its suppliers that even the legal age of 16 is too young, and they only want workers over 18. Samsung even pays for facial recognition equipment to keep people from sneaking in under someone else's ID.

The article then says that... DESPITE the best efforts of Samsung... girls like this seek out organizations who can supply them with fake IDs, so they can do summer work at companies making things like Christmas ornaments or plastic parts that will be blindly sold to other buyers like Samsung.

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Doubt he even read the article. Probably figured he could throw flame-bait in this part of the forum with misleading title info. That's why I didn't bother addressing him directly.

8. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

That is exactly what he was doing.......I was trying not to take the trolls bait....

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not the biggest fan of samsung, but it seems like they are trying to stop this and it just isn't possible to completely stop. I'm sure the same thing happens to apple, and any other company that manufactures in china as long as they do their best to stop it when it comes to light I'm happy.

10. Klyster macrumors 65816

Klyster

The have halted work at said factory apparently.

Better than just saying they will do something about it.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Do these workers want to work or are they being forced to stay?

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

14 and 15 year old people arent "children".

Why is Chinas legal working age so high? Wtf?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because the kids should be in school, and China is a civilised country.

14. zin Suspended

16 is "so high"?

At 16 you shouldn't be working at all, certainly not under enslaved factory conditions. You should still be in school concentrating on skills and learning because you're still a kid.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That happens in East Asia to a greater extent than in the West.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

In europe its very common that kids start earning their own income at 15. they are often done with school at 14.

In any case 14 and 15 year old workers are young, but certainly not children.
    I dont think this is shocking especially since we are talking about China.

17. zin Suspended

No it isn't. What is common in Europe are part time jobs a couple to a few days a week in which kids earn some extra cash to spend on video games and clothes.

Working 6 days a week with 8 hour shifts through the night and early morning is very different to this.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not if you are taking education seriously. Here you have to be in some form of education or training until you are 18.

19. Meister, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Here in germany kids collect their first work experiences between the age of 12 and 14 with internships. At 15 (if they finish "Hauptschule") they might start as an apprentice, earn their own income and sometimes move into their own place. And they work hard and long hours! 6 days a week, 8 hours a day are moderate working times for China.
    Edit: Working times in germany for under 18year olds are limited to 8,5hours a day 5days a week. No night work!
    This doesnt apply to all kids, but its by no means uncommon.

----------

Yes. The apprenticship is considered training, but in reality they sometimes have to work as hard as adults.

i am not saying thats a good thing, but considering China its really not that shocking.

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I'm no fan of Samsung, but I really hate these types of headlines. I highly doubt Samsung is knowingly exploiting child labor. More likely the factory owners and local officials are turning a blind eye and doing the exploiting.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't think anyone's saying kids shouldn't work at all until they're 18. Juggling a full 40 hour week alongside school is far from impossible. But these Chinese kids? They're working 12 hours on the night shift, 6 days a week. They're not gonna have time to do anything but their job.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

corrected that for you.

Thats not that far off from european standard. And its china we are talking about.

I think its a minor working law violation not exactly international news.

When I read the title I thought they were employing 8year olds in 12 hour shifts 7days a week handling poison.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nope, it's 12 hours. Per the OP:

12 hours a day, 6 days a week. That's 72 hours, almost 2 common work weeks. Far beyond the European standards. Hell, it's far beyond us, and we work more hours than you on average.

...plus, I'm sure they're not getting paid vacations and sick time.

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get free water.