Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varbhalla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hi,

I'm a new mac user. I have an external Samsung monitor 21 inches (2 months old) that I used for my windows xp laptop prior to buying a mac. I plugged my monitor cable into the DVI to VGA adaptor(came with the macbook pro) restarted and pressed ctrl F7. I didnt get any signal. I also shut down and restarted, and my monitor waited for a signal and then went to standby. I even took the power cable off and tried and nothing. Do I need a different cable??? Or need to do something else.

Thanks

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Usually all you have to do if the monitor isn't detected automatically is to open Display preferences and click Detect Displays. Give that a shot.

Is there a reason you're not just using straight DVI? That's a much better quality signal and it's usually better at being auto-detected.

varbhalla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
sorry very new to the mac. How Do i get to display mode? Im ony using the DVI to VGA adaptor because thats the one that came with it. I cant plug my monitor cable straight to the macbook pro. Do I need a different cable then? I will purchase a new cable if its better quality.

varbhalla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
ok found the displays went to detect, nothing happened. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

majorwimp

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Akron, OH
You need to verify that the Samsung monitor supports DVI input. I'm almost certain that it does. Go tomorrow and buy a DVI cable from your local electronics store. Plug one end of the DVI cable into your monitor and the other end into your MacBook Pro's DVI port. Put the adapter they provided you in a drawer and forget about it. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.