Samsung finds parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1 'inadequate' compared to iPad 2.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Management, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Management macrumors member

I love competition!:D

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/samsung-finds-parts-of-galaxy-tab-10-1-inadequate-compared-to/

2. OSMac, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

As long as Apple is selling like new refurbished iPads for $349 the other makers might as well shutdown production.

No one can compete at that price given the quality of iPad.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Samsung finds parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1 'inadequate' compared to iPad 2.

Engadget just posted this article.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/samsung-finds-parts-of-galaxy-tab-10-1-inadequate-compared-to/

4. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Samsung finds parts of Galaxy Tab 10.1 'inadequate' cmpr'd to iPad 2:reconsider price

Pretty Funny IYAM........:D

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/samsung-finds-parts-of-galaxy-tab-10-1-inadequate-compared-to/

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. Jcoz macrumors 6502

LOL.

If I knew how to photo shop stuff, I would have included a pic from Dave Chapelle's Rick James skit, with Steve Jobs' Face on Charlie Murphy's face, slappin the **** out of Samsung. A gif would be even better.

Someone do this please.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Aaaah, that is GREAT news!

I was thinking about getting a tablet this year. If Samsung either improves or reduces the price on its tablet then its a WIN for me.

(I will not be buying an iPad because iTunes is da DEVIL!)

8. ghostlyorb, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011

ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking it is great news. We've said here millions of times how great competition is, making sure apple doesn't rest on its laurels, well in this case competition is driving others to alter their plans and in ways that's great for the consumer.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Heh.

Giant conglomerates like Samsung, who gets billions of dollars in Apple and other companies' parts contracts, make money no matter what people buy.

The more iPads that Apple sells, the more money Samsung has to put into their own toys.

To them, tablets are probably like Jobs' Apple TV... more like a hobby. After all, that's pretty much all that the tablet market was to them for over a decade.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why? Don't you think it is a good think that there are competitors?

Think about it. :rolleyes:

13. ehoui macrumors regular

I didn't realize that they set expectations that way. Do you have a link or a quote?

14. Tarzanman, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Why do you need a quote? Conglomerates like Samsung that make everything and have their own foundries could probably afford to give tablets away and stay solvent. It is a tiny portion of their profits.

Apple might have more cash flow (liquid assets), but nowhere near the total assets. Do not underestimate how massive a company Samsung is. It would make more sense to compare it to GE than to Apple

-EDIT-

Went and got info off their wikipedia pages.
    Apple has around $75.18 billion in assets (in 2010)
    Samsung has about $294.5 billion (in 2009)

Basically, Samsung is 4x the size of Apple

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

kdarling's just speculating and he's wrong in that's not how Samsung operates. They rarely take any mainstream product as a "hobby," they play to dominate the market. First they'll copy the leader and release some under whelming devices and then eventually they'll try to overwhelm people with specs, usually faster processor and better display technology, and competitive pricing. That's exactly how it worked out for them in TV, phones and MP3(they failed, but they did overtake iRiver in the domestic Korean market) Now they are trying the same in smartphones, tablets and cameras.

Also with a big conglomeration like Samsung, you have departments competing for each other as profit centers. For instance Samsung is manufacturing Apple's A5 chip but the same factory also makes the chips for the Samsung mobile department. What I've heard is that Apple's order has filled the factory to its capacity and the Samsung mobile division is having hard time getting their own chips. However when you're the head of the chip-making division, you do what's best for you, which is catering to the largest customer, Apple.

That's what makes Apple unique. They love to stay lean because they are greedy and love to get higher ROI, but my impression is they also hate having development teams that are too large and unwieldy. (see Nokia) which I think is an important part of their success.

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I've always been fascinated by the massive sprawling Japanese conglomerates. They make GE look like a focused one trick pony! I love that there are companies that make both cars and televisions :)

17. foodle macrumors 6502

Er, Samsung is Korean.

18. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Um... Samsung is a Korean company.

Go call a Korean guy Japanese and see what happens (assuming you stay conscious to remember)

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Most of Samsung's earnings come from bad trade practices.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Yes please read carefully. I said "the" Japanese conglomerates, not "these" Japanese conglomerates. I'm quite aware of the distinction between the two countries, as well as which country the companies being discussed hail from.

But let me more explicitly connect the dots for you guys.

Yes, Korean conglomerates like Samsung bring to mind the fascination I've long held for conglomerates in general,, in particular some of the largest Japanese examples such as Mitsubishi, who seem to make everything from cars to televisions.

That better guys? :rolleyes:

21. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Yea I know what you mean. Its just to easy to download music and movies straight from itunes to the ipad. I mean who really likes making things that easy. I prefer for Android way. Less selection and pain in the butt getting media onto the device. I'm with you, DOWN WITH ITUNES. :rolleyes:

22. Davichi macrumors 6502

They were going to price it higher than galaxy Tab. So, they were going to price it at 700-800 dollars.

Go ahead, samsung and fail miserably.

23. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

This is great news. See how competition affects everyone? If Android tablets weren't coming out, Apple wouldn't have the need to improve the iPad and Android tablet makers wouldn't have the need to lower prices. This is why you don't want other tablet makers to 'shut down production' as some of you have said.

Competition = Win.

24. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not a big fan of Android, but that is a ridiculous statement. Competition is good, it drives innovation.

25. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Absolutely and that why I keep hoping WebOS and Windows Phone 7 to do well since I really don't want to see Android to take up all the non iOS licensees.