Samsung Galaxy 10.1 copies the iPad...and blows it away!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jett0516, May 11, 2011.

1. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

It looks like a complete copy of the iPad but specs wise…it blows the iPad 2 away.

[​IMG]

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20061516-251.html

Thinner, lighter, faster
    Android 3.0 Honeycomb
    Nvidia Tegra 2 Dual-Core 1GHz Processor
    10.1 inch display
    Samsung TouchWiz UX
    16GB / 32GB / 64GB internal memory storage
    3 megapixel rear-facing camera/LED flash, 2 megapixel front-facing camera

It a tough choice for tablets newbies.

2. jmthigpen macrumors regular

this isn't exactly true, the A5 beasts the Tegra II - look it up.

3. French macrumors regular

Not really...having used a Samsung Android phone (Galaxy II Fascinate) and getting abysmal (at best) support there is no way I would touch a Samsung device. Seriously the Fascinate didn't even see froyo until I think April. It came out in September! Completely unacceptable and even worse, a friend tried to warn me to stay away because Samsung has a rep for not supporting their devices. I didn't listen and I regret it. So until they change that track record, no sammy for me!

4. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Plus the iPad runs iOS with it's plethora of apps. I would like to get my hands on that thing though just to mess with.

5. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Wow. Thinner. Lighter. Better screen. Better camera. 2x RAM.

Competition is good. We (the consumers) win.

6. dread macrumors 6502a

Wow if I were Apple I would sue Samsung for how much their devices copy the iPhone and iPad. Oh wait, they are already doing that. Kidding aside the tablet looks nice but honeycomb just isn't there yet.

7. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

How sad. Just as with the iPod, competitors think spec sheets are what matter. Perhaps to the tiny subsection of the consumer market made up of tech geeks, but the tablet market is much larger than that. Specs do not matter nearly as much as the entire experience of using a tablet: software availability, integration with your other devices, OS completeness, etc.

Google just announced their "Ice Cream Sandwich" OS, the OS that will finally unify phone and tablet devices in one standard UI and software foundation. That's right, the Samsung device you are buying today is running an OS that will soon be superseded. What a mess.

Meanwhile you'll be hard pressed to find anyone complaining about iPad 2 speed or specs (hardware geeks aside). Everyone else is standing in line to buy them as fast as they can while Samsungs sit on the shelves. It's not a tough choice for tablet newbies at all: they have decided to get iPads.

But hey, keep touting specs as if this were still the 20th century.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

oh boy....If I had a dollar for every time....

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

What turns me off of this, would be:

-Samsung's lack of updates of their products once they're released.
    -Touchwiz - I used it on an original Galaxy Tab and wasn't impressed, it didn't give too much positive to the user experience.
    -The quality of 'official' apps, Apple as a manufacturer give out apps like Garageband and iMovie.

10. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

how do they win?

12. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

you'd be rich and be able to pay someone to write your posts for you...

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Right, because the entire OS, a massive app store, and a huge support system are conveniently not counted as "specs".

All these tablet makers are hoping people will be dumb enough to make their tablet purchases based solely on RAM, ghz, GB, megapixels, etc. The waiting lines for iPads continue to show that's not the case. You could staple a 1tb hard drive to an LCD screen and call it a tablet, and some moron would call it an iPad killer because of the storage capacity.

14. Torin macrumors newbie

Another thing you can't quantify with specs is the actual touch interface, of which the iPad currently has no competition. There is a level of refinement to how iOS handles gestures that is mimicked, but not reproduced on other tablets. Until the day comes that they are equal in that respect, all of the specs and apps in the world won't make another tablet of equal quality or value.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    lll
    V
    V
    V
    V

16. meechy macrumors 6502

More choice of products??

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Looks cool. Specs don't blow the iPad away, and even though they are better in some aspects doesn't make the product better. iOS on the tablet is much more defined with a lot more applications designed to work on a tablet.

18. LateAppleFan macrumors member

The more important question on the Samsung Tab 10.1 is - will it have the dreaded screen light-bleeding;)

19. Wubby macrumors newbie

I'd rather have an Asus Transformer if I were to get an Android tablet. But with the lack of apps and the beta state of Honeycomb plus Tegra 3 just around the corner I don't think it's worth it to buy an Android tablet yet. But the more options there are the better!

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

Then "to win" the products would have to be ones that consumers would want. And by that definition the smartphone market must be the greatest example of consumer success. However, flooding the marketplace with countless variations of a device isn't all that wonderful in the end.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

Btw

The bids for these Galaxy Tabs on EBAY are already at $1350

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think ultimately it's going to come down to the software.

You won't care about thinner or lighter if you don't carry the thing around with you because you love using it.

You won't care about the built-in camera if the software makes it a hassle to take pictures and share them on Twitter, Facebook, or whatever.

You won't care about faster CPU or graphics if there are no apps you want to use to take advantage of them.

Pricing is important but every Mac user proves the point that people are willing to pay higher prices for stuff that works better for them. So ultimately (within reason) pricing doesn't matter.

Ultimately, hardware specs aren't going to matter as much as the ecosystem, the compatibility with whatever computer and desktop OS you use, the app store (or lack of one) you prefer, etc.

23. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

That's because they are near enough 'Nexus' tablets - well the ones from Google I/O and they don't have the nasty Touchwiz UI.

25. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

Is it me, or does the Galaxy 10.1 look rather "user un-friendly"? The home screen does not look all that well thought out.