Samsung Galaxy 2S or iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christianbale, Nov 28, 2011.

1. christianbale macrumors newbie

I got the iPhone 4S on launch day and I'm a huge apple geek and love everything apple. I have an iPad and MacBook also. [​IMG]My little brother that's 12 just got the galaxy s2 and I'm not going to lie it's made me think a little. I'm still within my 30 days so I could take it back and get the samsung. I just don't want to regret it. I love the iPhone I really do but the samsung galaxy is pretty sweet! The screen is so vibrant and big. I loved it! I was just wanting some thoughts and opinions.

2. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

For more function in the OS and if you use gmail get android. For more polish and better selection of app get iOS

3. mariotr87 macrumors regular

I prefer the iPhone 4S myself (that's why I got one).
    The OS work so much better and the apps are much nicer too. Android is cool too but I find its apps to be very bad often, and the huge fragmentation doesn't help to change that. This is the biggest difference to my mind.

Another reason why I picked the iPhone 4s is because of its iPod capabilities and iTunes integration. I wanted both a MP3 player and a phone to not to carry two different devices around. I hate android player, it's pretty bad.

If you have a mac, it'll play nicely with the iPhone (photostream, iCal and iPhoto integration, FaceTime, etc).

I'd say the only thing that could make me think of the GS2 instead is the screen size but I find it to be too big (and the resolution worse, so what's the point).

4. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Aside from you being an "apple geek", you need to decide what it is that you want in a phone. Maybe you should lay out the reasons you'd choose an iphone over the gs2, and then lay out the reasons you'd choose a gs2 over the iphone. Then decide which list of reasons has the most important things to you and go with that phone.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

iPhone 4S no doubt

Especially if you're already in the Apple eco system

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You already have the 4S and S2 in your hand, decide for yourself.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

There are only 2 flagship phones from Apple and Google worth considering now IMO.

The Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 4s. If you've invested heavily in the iOS ecosystem I'd see little reason to swap from 4s to SGSII at this time.

8. Picka macrumors member

This pretty much, it's incredible that people actually need to go on a forum to ask when they already have access to both products. Sheeple.

Right, rant out of the way, both good phones, ICS on track for S2 in Jan.

9. Stealthipad, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not forget the new Nexus. I just got one and the OS is like from the future.:)

WARNING: If you do get a decent Android phone like the SG2 or Nexus, you will NEVER feel the same about the iPhone and iOS.

10. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

It's all preference.

I mean if you're asking about specs, and things that you may not understand... that'd be one thing.

You're just asking which one people think you should get. I'd stop right there, and go by what you prefer. Honestly it doesn't matter which one has X feature or Y feature. It's all about your user experience, and what phone has what YOU want.

I do agree with others, though, that say if you're going to consider Android. Look at the Galaxy Nexus as it's really the direct competitor. Every review I've read for any other phone have huge issues compared to the same feature on the iPhone (minus LTE but that's another issue all together). The Nexus seems to be the best "direct competitor".

I, personally, started out with a Droid, then got my iPhone and loved it. As I love new tech I did try out a different Android phone (Droid RAZR) and found MY experience with Android to be underwhelming after using it for an extended period so I'm back to Apple again with a 4S. Though I have a friend who went the opposite route recently as he preferred some pieces of Android.

So just go with what you like. You can't go wrong if you like the experience.

11. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Get a pure google phone like the nexus otherwise stay iPhone and this is coming from someone who spent 3yrs using android and just got his first iPhone. Oem and carries put to much garbage on their phones...

12. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I had the Skyrocket, and really liked the OS. It worked well, very easy to customize, but I returned it after 3 weeks. As all Android devices have a huge flaw. It's their battery life. Light-Moderate use required me to charge it 2-3 times a day. No thanks. While my iphone only uses 20% of it's battery with the same use.

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

If you want a cheap feeling plastic phone running a donkeyed up os get the s2.

:apple:

14. zelaya macrumors 6502

My co-worker currently have a Samsung S2 and that thing is HUGE and he is returning it for the Iphone(sprint) for me personaly there's no way I'll be carrying that brick. lol

15. n00basaur macrumors regular

You should be considering the Galaxy Nexus not Galaxy SII as far as android phones go.

Can't go wrong with either the Galaxy Nexus or the 4S.

16. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

The iPhone 4S doesn't even beat the Galaxy S II….:)

Your right about that:D

Yet, if apple comes out with a 4.3 inch device, you'll be all over it

Again, the iPhone 4S doesn't even stack up to the Galaxy S II. Also, if ice cream is what people are drooling over, it will hit the galaxy S in Jan……I think 4.6 is huge……4-4.3 is the limit.

17. The Great Boony macrumors regular

You're right there, I played with a SG2 for the day, and never again will I touch another one... It's an awful phone/OS.

iPhone 4s > Everything else.

----------

Really? in what? it pisses over the Galaxy S II on benchmarks alone.

Unless you mean in terms of: Feels cheap and plastic, or rubbish build quality? - The Galaxy S II would 'beat' the iphone here

18. SurferMan, Nov 29, 2011

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Agree, the SGII or Nexus are the ones to get if your going Droid. I just bought an SGII, at&t which is the smaller one at 4.3", and it's not big at all, other phones are bigger and bulkier but this one is thin and easier to use and no problem fitting in pockets. Anybody thinking it's too big is on crack lol. Now the bigger 4.5"+ and bulkier phones I agree I don't like the size, but the AT&T version of the SGII is awesome.

Benchmarks don't mean anything to me, I mean seriously what the phones are used for you'll barely bat an eye to see a difference as both are extremely fast and responsive... I mean it's not like your going to be designing and modeling 3D graphics on either phone lol. Plus you can root and ram the SGII for way faster performance and battery life, and unlock the true potential of Android on a good phone. Plus I don't know why people complain about batt life, they pry have every setting on which like on the 4S drains the batt... SGII last longer then our 3GS and about the same as our 4 which I consider to be about the best around, and I use my phones a lot durring the day (though the 4 still wins in standby time but that means nothing to me as my phones never go more then a day w/o a charge). Previous Droids had bad batt life, but at least on the SGII I'm impressed with it's usage once you have it set up right and go through the settings. And that's when the 4 wasn't on iOS 5.1 which now causes bad batt life even with locations, and anything else turned off that would cause drain.

I've always had iPhone's and loved jailbreaking and doing full customization, and I'm impressed with Android now. Where as before I didn't really care for it.

19. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Pretty much if you get an android phone, it has to be a nexus. That way, you'll always get the updates. God I hated my droid so much.

20. heyloo macrumors 6502

It's a hard choice to decide between the Galaxy Nexus Prime and an iPhone 4S. However I'd say iPhone 4S has the upper hand over the S2.

In the end, the choice between Galaxy S2, iPhone 4S and Nexus will end up being a personal preference really. You really can't go wrong with choosing any of the above.

21. jmhays macrumors member

If you decide on the S2, I will gladly trade you a brand new S2 for your iPhone 4s. I am eligble for a upgrade at T-mobile where I can buy the S2 and swap you for your iPhone 4s.

22. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I own both. iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S2. In my opinion the only feature I find is much more advanced on the Samsung is the GPS. That the screen is bigger on the Samsung is just a matter of personal opinion. I like the size of the SG2 Screen but the phone is just too big for me. Why do I have it? It was given to me as a gift and I don't pay for the line. I use it only for its GPS!! The iPhone is the perfect size phone for me.

23. silverblack, Nov 29, 2011

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

OP, my situation is very similar to yours, being 'everything apple'. But I actually went and bought an SGS 2 and used it for 3 weeks before I gave up and went back to a 4S.

Assuming you already knew about what's great about SGS 2 from your little brother, I'm going to skip this, and go right into what I DIDN'T like about it.

- Poor integration with iCal and contacts on your Macs. First, you need to give up iCloud, and have iCal and Contacts sync to Google calendar and contacts. It did work to some degree, but not 100%. You'll face error like iCal cannot delete events on gcal; contacts messing up and creating duplicate contacts for same person.

- Instability. I need to restart my phone last least a couple times a week, or it will crash and restart itself.

- No full system backup. No in-app data backup out of the box. Unlike iPhone, you cannot backup EVERYTHING to your computer (let alone to the cloud). You'll have to root the system to do this. But to restore to new phone, you'll need to root that first. Also, I don't know if you can restore data to a different model (SGS vs SGS 2)/OS (ginger bread vs. ICS) of phones.

- Find my phone is available but only via Samsung, and it feels like beta. For example, there's no easy to delete a device from the feature. I sold the phone, and it still remained in the account.

- No need to re-enter password in Android Market to buy apps. Once you entered it once, it stays there. To remove the info, you need to do that in checkout.google.com every single time after you're done buying apps. If not, anyone can pick up your phone and buyapps for you. You get 15 minutes to get a refund, after that you are stuck. (You can do that to your brother's phone to annoy him)

- Android Facebook app does not allow you to upload more than 1 photo at a time.

- Calendar alert does not clear itself from notification, you have to remove it every single time. In iOS, it disappears by itself after the event is over.

- As far as I know your backup, contacts, calendar and app purchase are all tied to one gmail account. I don't know if you can share app purchase with family member. With iOS, Apple decoupled iTunes store account from iCloud account to support app sharing within family.

- the Social App, which Android is proud of, put all your email, G+, FB and twitter in one place. But it won't allow you to have more than one of the same account. i.e., won't allow 2 FB accounts (one work, one home).

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I've seen this posted a few times so I'll try to address what I can.

Hopefully this will help some of your problems! :D

25. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You are forgetting that you are asking this on an Apple minded forum.

I have an iPhone 4, and for me personally, as much as I love the device, the current Samsung Galaxy S2 is just much more awesome with it's 16:9 screen with high-contrast and it's bigger size (but yet, the phone itself isn't really bigger than the iPhone 4).

My contract will end this summer, and as much as I love Apple and the App Store, I will seriously consider switching devices (perhaps than to the Samsung Galaxy S3): especially the screen is so nice with a great viewing angle and again a huge contrast. And the Samsung Galaxy S is barely bigger than the iPhone 4, only slightly.

Apple must add some great, new hardware in 2012 with the sixth generation iPhone because otherwise they will lose me (a Samsung Galaxy S is much cheaper on contract).

The iPad 2, however, is still the best tablet available - I believe.