Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
android-samsung-galaxy-camera-1-630x422.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/29/3276302/samsung-galaxy-camera-announcement/in/3041432

samsung-galaxy-camera-specifications.jpg

What happens when you combine a pocket camera with an Android smartphone? Samsung's answer is the Galaxy Camera. Running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on a massive 4.8-inch HD LCD display, the Galaxy Camera aims to take the best of Samsung's camera and phone departments and mix them up for something altogether unique. There's a 16-megapixel backside-illuminated sensor within what is otherwise an unmistakably camera-shaped body, equipped with a retractable lens that provides 21x optical zoom.

On the inside, we can look forward to a 1.4GHz quad-core processor, Wi-Fi, 3G, and 4G wireless options, although disappointingly there's no SD card compatibility. If you want removable storage, you'll have to go for microSD cards. The Galaxy Camera will accept Micro SIM cards only. The display is described as using scLCD technology and has a 308ppi pixel density thanks to its 1280 x 720 resolution.

Samsung has really gone to town with its software automation, giving you 10 so-called Smart Pro modes, designed to ease the process of taking professionally-styled photos. A good example of that is the light trails that you see in long-exposure pictures of moving traffic in low light. Samsung has a mode for that, helpfully dubbed Light Trace. A Smart Content Manager will create folders and tag faces automatically, while also suggesting bad shots for deletion. You'll be able to search by people's faces, time, location and other photo data. A Photo Wizard is included for sprucing up your pictures effortlessly, plus there's a Best Group Shot feature that creates a composite image out of a continuous shot, stitching together the best captures of each person's face.

"Stop worrying about Android, it's just tools under the hood. It's what it enables in the devices that's the important part."

samsung-galaxy-camera-hands-on-211_1020_gallery_post.jpg

Completing the S-E-E-S quadriga of software features is Sharing (the other three being Shoot, Enjoy, and Edit), which is facilitated by the wealth of wireless connectivity, a Share Shot option for connecting to other nearby Galaxy devices, and Auto Cloud Backup. That last feature is essentially the same thing you can do with Google's auto-upload to Picasa, though it sends the pics up to Samsung's cloud and not Google's. Samsung wouldn't say whether this is the first step of its previously rumored S Cloud service, but it's there if you want to use.
The Galaxy Camera will be going on sale in the fourth quarter of this year, to be marketed and launched in partnership with mobile operators, much like a smartphone, though Samsung's Ryan Bidan tells us the device is still a camera first and foremost. For Samsung, the Galaxy Camera is just a point-and-shoot enhanced with the goodness of Android. In Ryan's words, we should "stop worrying about Android, it's just tools under the hood. It's what it enables in the devices that's the important part."

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Boy Samsung really is throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I thought this was some sort of April Fools joke. Consider me intrigued. I'm very interested to see how many of these Samsung will sell.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Boy Samsung really is throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks.

one of the reasons to buy an iphone over ipod touch is the better camera with the time/GPS tagging. not anymore.

50% of cell phone users don't have a smart phone and most probably don't want one if they can get a product with similar features

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Truly amazing and a first. That is one nice looking device. Samsung has hit their stride in full force. Bravo.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Truly amazing and a first. That is one nice looking device. Samsung has hit their stride in full force. Bravo.

Wow, yea that is nice looking. Samsung just keeps bringing out new stuff. Really cool but dont know if ill bite on one. Id have to see more of them and se how they work. I dont really need one.
Samsung must have some super tech team or something. I read today that they have said they are willing to just modify those phones to be banned instead of having them be banned.

Why not just let the Galaxy S 4G die? Its old but instead, they want to modify them and whip them out on the market? Is there an advantage to that? And modify the GS32 models? I guess it could be like a new phone to many :cool:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Who's going to buy it though? Is there anyon at Samsung who says no or do they just sign off on every idea that comes into anyone's head. If I was a professional photographer I doubt Samsung would be my first choice of cameras. And if I wasn't I doubt I'd want to carry a camera with me when in most cases my smartphone would do the job just fine.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Samsung makes the best camera software for Android. I hope someone figures out how to port it over to the phones.

It's like merging a refrigerator/toaster together though. People are absolutely going to love the fact that they can post pictures from Instagram, use it as a toy camera, etc, but all the other functions are just making it more pricey and are not needed. Excluding the Android Market and just focus on getting all the third-party developers together to form a nice app store for these devices would be heaps better even. You don't need pretty much 99% of the Play Store integration, you don't need the browser, and you're not going to enjoy using it other than as a camera anyway.

Just think about how stupid someone would look using one of these devices to check their e-mail or play a game on a bus ride.

I really like/want the Samsung camera, but I wouldn't use it for the rest of the Android ecosystem.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Excluding the Android Market and just focus on getting all the third-party developers together to form a nice app store for these devices would be heaps better even. You don't need pretty much 99% of the Play Store integration, you don't need the browser, and you're not going to enjoy using it other than as a camera anyway.

Why reinvent the wheel and try to convince a lot of companies when you have all the job done?

In fact, this is what Android is for, an standard operating system to be put in a lot of different devices.

I'm waiting for a Panasonic Lumix with it. Or a Canon DSRL

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That looks pretty slick. It would have to really take great pics though to replace some of the other P&S options on the market. The social media sharing is fun and all, but I'd rather have a nice photo over the ability to share fast.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Who's going to buy it though? Is there anyon at Samsung who says no or do they just sign off on every idea that comes into anyone's head. If I was a professional photographer I doubt Samsung would be my first choice of cameras. And if I wasn't I doubt I'd want to carry a camera with me when in most cases my smartphone would do the job just fine.

Point and shoot cameras are not targeted at professional photographers.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Nikon announced an Android camera one week ago.

Yes, but isn't that running on Gingerbread and will likely never be completely supported? What does Nikon know about mobile OS's?

The Nokia 808 Purview has a 41mp camera, but more doesn't mean better. This camera's sensor is 8 times larger and the software is optimized for this specific camera. Much better picture quality out of the 13mp Samsung and digital zoom on this I'd said to be more like optical zoom, instead of just making pixels bigger and the picture becoming crappy. There is no mic though, so anyone thinking of ever trying to use this as a phone, forget it.

If anyone listens to Android podcasts, they been talking about it since the unveiling at IFA in Germany.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i would have seriously considered it but it doesn't support RAW. not that i'm a Pro, but i wanted the option of taking nice pictures of my kids

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.