Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
from http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-dethrones-iphone-4s/

The Galaxy S III has overtaken Apple's iPhone 4S for the first time ever to become the top selling smartphone for Q3 2012, according to Strategy Analytics. Samsung claimed the pole position by shipping 18 million copies of its flagship handset during the quarter, compared to Cupertino's 16.2 million iPhone 4S units. Of course, serendipity is also likely at play, as the iPhone 5 hit shelves towards the end of that period, likely cannibalizing 4S sales -- in fact, the market research firm thinks Apple's new top handset will likely trump Samsung in Q4. That means the Korean giant may have to step up its game, or it'll just be keeping the top spot warm for its arch-competitor.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
Before trolls come in and say iPhone 5 + 4s sales were > than galaxy s3

Please note that you must include galaxy s2 sales as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yea of course on a last year iphone! :rolleyes: now try that with the iphone 5! Oh wait they gonna do it with the s4 sometimes next year!

You are doing "it" right now. The 5 is a lot newer then the S3.

Can I say "oh wait you are gonna do it with the 5S" when the S4 is out way before it?

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Great news for Sammy. Truly shows all their innovating and taking screen sizes to places where other OEMs wouldn't dare try first is really paying off. Touchwiz is maturing to a point where it is truly improving the user experience. Bravo.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Remember when people said that there would never be an android device that outsold any iPhone.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
from http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-dethrones-iphone-4s/

The Galaxy S III has overtaken Apple's iPhone 4S for the first time ever to become the top selling smartphone for Q3 2012, according to Strategy Analytics. Samsung claimed the pole position by shipping 18 million copies of its flagship handset during the quarter, compared to Cupertino's 16.2 million iPhone 4S units. Of course, serendipity is also likely at play, as the iPhone 5 hit shelves towards the end of that period, likely cannibalizing 4S sales -- in fact, the market research firm thinks Apple's new top handset will likely trump Samsung in Q4. That means the Korean giant may have to step up its game, or it'll just be keeping the top spot warm for its arch-competitor.

LOL!

I am an Android fan and had an S3 before my iPhone 5, its an excellent device. However, this is just laughable. They pick the 3 months leading up to the iPhone 5 when no one in their right mind would be buying a 4s to cherry pick these numbers :rolleyes: The iPhone 5 is projected to sell 46 million by Dec, thats 3 months of sales. The S3 won't see anything near those numbers, thanks for playing though.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
LOL!

I am an Android fan and had an S3 before my iPhone 5, its an excellent device. However, this is just laughable. They pick the 3 months leading up to the iPhone 5 when no one in their right mind would be buying a 4s to cherry pick these numbers :rolleyes: The iPhone 5 is projected to sell 46 million by Dec, thats 3 months of sales. The S3 won't see anything near those numbers, thanks for playing though.

Please show me any other time this has happened in the past. If you don't consider this to be significant then I'm guessing you've drank more than your share of kool aid.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Like I said in the other thread good job to Samsung. I doubt the'll be able to outsell the iPhone 5 this quarter

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Please show me any other time this has happened in the past. If you don't consider this to be significant then I'm guessing you've drank more than your share of kool aid.

A brand new phone outselling a year old phone is far from news. Want to impress me? Lets see the S3 beat the iPhone 5 sales for Q4 :)

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
A brand new phone outselling a year old phone is far from news. Want to impress me? Lets see the S3 beat the iPhone 5 sales for Q4 :)

I'll ask you again, when has any iPhone ever been outsold by any other single phone, regardless of sales quarter? You dismissed the GS3 for outselling the iPhone4S in Q3 and said "LOL." For some reason you feel this is insignificant. You can bet this has Apple's attention.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
LOL!

I'm sorry you're so near sighted. This is pretty dang incredible. I cannot believe anyone would consider this as significant.
This iPhone has never and I mean NEVER, been out sold at anytime in the sales cycle. When you take into consideration that the GS3 is one helluva phone, and now that Samsung has been able to prove their phone is just as good or better than the iPhone and at the same time get it into the hands of so many millions of people, they've solidly begun building a real legitimate following. What phone will a lot of the entry to mid level Android users upgrade to later on? You can bet the Galaxy Line will be at the top of their list. The Galaxy S line and Android have become synonymous.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
See, the problem is that these are all numbers from analysts. Analysts who are completely wrong all the time.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
See, the problem is that these are all numbers from analysts. Analysts who are completely wrong all the time.

Verizon backed the reports and claimed that the Razr Maxx did indeed outsell the iPhone 4s in Q2 of this year. I remember it because I had a Razr Maxx at the time and thought it was cool.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Verizon backed the reports and claimed that the Razr Maxx did indeed outsell the iPhone 4s in Q2 of this year. I remember it because I had a Razr Maxx at the time and thought it was cool.

Uh, I'm not sure about that. Verizon never said anything. In fact, I find it hard to believe because there were two iPhone models (4 & 4S) on Verizon, with multiple Android models on Verizon and the iPhone STILL accounted for 45% of sales for the quarter. Unless the Razr Maxx just outsold the hell out of every other Android phone, I'd have a hard time believing it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
You didn't specify that. You said it had never EVER been outsold at any time in its history. It has and you are wrong.

Actually you're wrong. His statement was based off the article which was not referring to sales of just a single carrier. Don't get snappy at others because you have issues with reading comprehension.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Will be interesting to see the results of Q4 with the iPhone 5 sales. It seems that the S3 has continued to sell well in spite of it (they reached 30 million sold already).

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It is not surprising.

Samsung sold twice as many smartphones as Apple per quarter. S3 is their best selling model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.