Samsung Galaxy S8+ vs LG V30X vs iPhone X. Which is closer to being 'bezel-less' than the other?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Starfyre, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I was watching this video with a simulated rendered image of the LG V30X and looking at reviews of the Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Question is, given the bezels on the iPhone X, if you have both phones in portrait mode and measured the bezels... which phone has more bezels than the other?

I am tempted to say the iPhone X "bezel-less" has more bezels than the LG V30X, and maybe the Samsung.. but a part of me is wishing upon a macrumors forum member to post this is not the case... with some evidence if it exists.

2. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

GSM arena has the LG V30 at 81.2% screen to body ratio and the iPhone X at 82.9%.

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

This is great news! I was worried iPhone X would be less... the phones I am most worried about are this, Samsung Galaxy S8+, and the new Xiaomi Mix phone that is hawking itself to be a better phone with smaller bezels... and looks even more bezel-less than the LG V30X

4. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Why does this worry you? Should I be worried too?

5. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

How do you feel about Apple stating on their website in big font:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/
    Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen. One so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience. And so intelligent it can respond to a tap, your voice, and even a glance. With iPhone X, that vision is now a reality. Say hello to the future.

Just to find out that a bunch of other phones in the industry are more entirely screen than Apple's from LG, Xiaomi, Samsung... Apple is usually not hypocritical like this. Apple would be lying and should change that false advertising if their phone has thicker bezels than the competition and less screen than others.

I wonder if it is within grounds to sue Apple because of false advertising if it were not true.

6. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

It is indeed! The Galaxy S8 is 83.6% and the S8+ is 84%. The iPhone X at 82.9% is pretty much in line with these Galaxies. Not to mention a tad of that display area isn’t all that useable with the curved edges on the Galaxy S8 line.

7. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Sue them then. Let us know how that goes ;)

8. Starfyre, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I wouldn't, but seems like others could if they bought the phone. It wouldn't be the first time a consumer filed a motion because of misleading advertising.

9. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I'm not an attorney, but that seems like a stretch. Nowhere do they claim to have the most screen screen with a completely bezel less device in what you posted, though they do note producing an iPhone that is entirely screen. The notch aside, it's pretty much taking up the entire screen. They're talking specifically about their vision of iPhone, not comparing themselves to anyone else.

It doesn't worry me in the least. My preference is for a great end user experience, which my iPhones have provided me.

10. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

As previously mentioned, the S8, S8+, and Note 8 all beat the iPhone X in screen to body ratio. Samsung simply did it better and stayed symmetrical. Looks so much cleaner and futuristic. The iPhone X is a big leap in being near bezel-less.... for an iPhone. We all know its nothing new for Android phones to have smaller bezels. But the big difference is, for Android phones, they make good use of the added display real estate. The iPhone X doesn't do that. It has the perma-turd (Chris Pirillo's term) that completely cuts into the usable space. And It has this thick bezel going around the whole phone. So the side bezels look extra big because of that. Not a modern look. Because of that, you actually don't get use of the full 5.8 inches of the iPhone X. In fact the iP8plus has more usable space. This is a good article:

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_x_screen_how_big_is_it_really-news-27265.php

11. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed Sharp Aquas S2’s rear looks 99% like an iPhone X if not more.

12. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

That is scary, and it also has a notch too... but a smaller notch... looks like Sharp has a FaceID-less iPhone X.

[​IMG]

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don’t care about bezels. I only care about good design.

14. Nozuka macrumors 68020

if i had to choose between the bezels all around the X and the rounded corners on the galaxy, i would still choose the bezels on the X.

the edges are bad for content viewing:

- distortion
    - light bleed
    - glaring

but at least they look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. profets macrumors 601

I've seen and used a handful of the different Samsung Galaxy phones with the screen literally curving off to the edge. I don't get it. Maybe it's cool how far the screen is stretched, but it starts to distort the image, and holding it you're touching the edges of the screen. Not to mention that when watching a video it feels distracting.