Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I was watching this video with a simulated rendered image of the LG V30X and looking at reviews of the Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Question is, given the bezels on the iPhone X, if you have both phones in portrait mode and measured the bezels... which phone has more bezels than the other?

I am tempted to say the iPhone X "bezel-less" has more bezels than the LG V30X, and maybe the Samsung.. but a part of me is wishing upon a macrumors forum member to post this is not the case... with some evidence if it exists.

Last edited:

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
GSM arena has the LG V30 at 81.2% screen to body ratio and the iPhone X at 82.9%.
This is great news! I was worried iPhone X would be less... the phones I am most worried about are this, Samsung Galaxy S8+, and the new Xiaomi Mix phone that is hawking itself to be a better phone with smaller bezels... and looks even more bezel-less than the LG V30X

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Why does this worry you?

How do you feel about Apple stating on their website in big font:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/
Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen. One so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience. And so intelligent it can respond to a tap, your voice, and even a glance. With iPhone X, that vision is now a reality. Say hello to the future.

Just to find out that a bunch of other phones in the industry are more entirely screen than Apple's from LG, Xiaomi, Samsung... Apple is usually not hypocritical like this. Apple would be lying and should change that false advertising if their phone has thicker bezels than the competition and less screen than others.

I wonder if it is within grounds to sue Apple because of false advertising if it were not true.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
This is great news! I was worried iPhone X would be less... the phones I am most worried about are this, Samsung Galaxy S8+, and the new Xiaomi Mix phone that is hawking itself to be a better phone with smaller bezels... and looks even more bezel-less than the LG V30X

It is indeed! The Galaxy S8 is 83.6% and the S8+ is 84%. The iPhone X at 82.9% is pretty much in line with these Galaxies. Not to mention a tad of that display area isn’t all that useable with the curved edges on the Galaxy S8 line.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen. One so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience. And so intelligent it can respond to a tap, your voice, and even a glance. With iPhone X, that vision is now a reality. Say hello to the future.

Just to find out that a bunch of other phones in the industry are more entirely screen than Apple's from LG, Xiaomi, Samsung... Apple is usually not hypocritical like this. Apple would be lying and should change that false advertising if their phone has thicker bezels than the competition and less screen than others.

I wonder if it is within grounds to sue Apple because of false advertising if it were not true.
Sue them then. Let us know how that goes ;)

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Sue them then. Let us know how that goes ;)
I wouldn't, but seems like others could if they bought the phone. It wouldn't be the first time a consumer filed a motion because of misleading advertising.

Last edited:

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm not an attorney, but that seems like a stretch. Nowhere do they claim to have the most screen screen with a completely bezel less device in what you posted, though they do note producing an iPhone that is entirely screen. The notch aside, it's pretty much taking up the entire screen. They're talking specifically about their vision of iPhone, not comparing themselves to anyone else.

It doesn't worry me in the least. My preference is for a great end user experience, which my iPhones have provided me.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
As previously mentioned, the S8, S8+, and Note 8 all beat the iPhone X in screen to body ratio. Samsung simply did it better and stayed symmetrical. Looks so much cleaner and futuristic. The iPhone X is a big leap in being near bezel-less.... for an iPhone. We all know its nothing new for Android phones to have smaller bezels. But the big difference is, for Android phones, they make good use of the added display real estate. The iPhone X doesn't do that. It has the perma-turd (Chris Pirillo's term) that completely cuts into the usable space. And It has this thick bezel going around the whole phone. So the side bezels look extra big because of that. Not a modern look. Because of that, you actually don't get use of the full 5.8 inches of the iPhone X. In fact the iP8plus has more usable space. This is a good article:

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_x_screen_how_big_is_it_really-news-27265.php

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Has anyone noticed Sharp Aquas S2’s rear looks 99% like an iPhone X if not more.
That is scary, and it also has a notch too... but a smaller notch... looks like Sharp has a FaceID-less iPhone X.

Sharp-aquos-s2-hands.jpg

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
if i had to choose between the bezels all around the X and the rounded corners on the galaxy, i would still choose the bezels on the X.

the edges are bad for content viewing:

- distortion
- light bleed
- glaring

but at least they look good.

unfatbN.jpg

VQ0d3Km.jpg

Reactions: Jetcat3 and profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've seen and used a handful of the different Samsung Galaxy phones with the screen literally curving off to the edge. I don't get it. Maybe it's cool how far the screen is stretched, but it starts to distort the image, and holding it you're touching the edges of the screen. Not to mention that when watching a video it feels distracting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.