Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In January, Samsung announced plans to add iOS support to its Gear S2 Smart Watch, and it appears work on an iOS app is well underway. Screenshots of a beta Gear S2 app designed for iOS devices have been shared on the XDA forums, giving us a first look at the design of the app and the features that will be available.

samsunggears2iosapp-800x707.jpg

XDA forum members have also been able to download the test app and have provided details on its functionality. The Gear S2 iOS app will be able to deliver notifications to the smart watch, and it will be able to install and manage apps from the Gear store on the device. According to testers, while the Gear S2 can receive notifications from the iPhone, replies are not currently possible, and the Samsung Gear S2 Lite app has to be running in the background for the connection between the watch and the app to be maintained.

gears2iosappnotifications-800x399.jpg

The app appears to be in the developmental stages and Samsung has given no hints on when it plans to introduce a finished iOS app for the Gear S2. When the news was first announced, Samsung's only timeline was "later in the year."

Currently, the Gear S2, which runs the Samsung Tizen operating system, is only compatible with Samsung smartphones, but when the iOS app is released, the Gear S2 will be able to compete with the Apple Watch on Apple's own platform.

samsunggear2-800x450.jpg

Introduced in August of 2015, the Gear S2 is Samsung's latest smart watch and the first to ship with a round display. While the first versions of the Gear S2 were originally only available in black or silver with matching rubber bands, Samsung introduced higher-end 18-karat rose gold and platinum plated versions to better compete with the more expensive Apple Watch models.

Article Link: Leaked iOS App Hints at Upcoming iPhone Support for Samsung's Gear S2 Smart Watch

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Before all the bashing begins try to remember that cross compatibility is good for everyone.
Someone needs to post this when Apple Watch news comes out. It's a total bashing thread.
[doublepost=1460660235][/doublepost]
Just flashed it and works great. I love my Gear S2, battery life alone was worth it.
How thick is the Gear S2? I thought someone said it was much thicker than the AW? If so, that alone would be a great way to get extra battery life. I will keep thinner and 36 hours of battery life over thicker.

Reactions: tongxinshe

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I wonder if this is forewarning of the discontinuation of the Apple Watch.

It may be that Apple will now promote the Samsung Gear S2. It's certainly a much better-looking watch than the Apple Watch, sad to say.
There zero logic in that. Apple Watch sold better (by a lot) and they have a second generation coming out in the fall.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Rose Gold & Platinum? Wtf? Samsung!

Edit: it's plated and costs $450 each..huh, for a minute there i thought they completely lost their minds:D

Hope will be compatible with iPhone 4s and 5s, unlike the Apple Watch

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Someone needs to post this when Apple Watch news comes out. It's a total bashing thread.
How thick is the Gear S2? I thought someone said it was much thicker than the AW? If so, that alone would be a great way to get extra battery life. I will keep thinner and 36 hours of battery life over thicker.

Its thinner than the AW, I sold my AW after a month. The Gear S2 is well worth it but dont know if the AW short comings will be addressed in the AW2

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
11.2mm v 10.5 for the AW. The Gear S2 3G is thicker at 13.4 mm.

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
I get about 48 hours on my 42mm Apple Sport...and it takes about 3 hours to charge. I am happy with that.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016

It may be that Apple will now promote the Samsung Gear S2. It's certainly a much better-looking watch than the Apple Watch, sad to say.

Your post has no logic or reasoning behind "Discintinuation of the Apple Watch." Better looking? The Gear S2 looks like my cheap Timex Iron Man watch I wear around the house. The Apple Watch is way more premium than the Gear S2.

Not to mention, Apple Watch 2 will debut this fall expectedly.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

You. Cannot. Be. Serious.

This makes about as much logic as saying that since the HTC 10 supports Apple AirPlay, that maybe it's a forewarning of the discontinuation of the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.